Thursday, September 25, 2008

Good news/bad news

So, many of you know that I lost my job just before departure, which was a bit unnerving, but it did unlock some vacation pay that had been held back from when they changed the vacation system, giving me some funds for the trip. In a similar vein, there is a silver lining to losing my wallet.

The bad news, I lost my wallet. Actually, I am pretty sure it was stolen, since we combed the theater where it disappeared, and for a fairly small area where it was unaccounted for, it simply was not there. It contained $100 US and $100 AU, as well as credit cards and bank cards. That sucked.

Here is the good news though. First off, that was the only thing lost. I did not lose my passport, which we would still be sorting out if I had. I did not lose my medicine, glaucometer, or anything health-related. I did not lose the airport transfers that we had just purchased. I did not lose my journal or camera, either of which would have been emotionally devastating, and I did not lose everything that I normally have in my wallet, as I had cleaned it out before going, leaving only what I thought I would need on the trip.

Other good news is that I was able to close my accounts without any problem, and get some cash transferred into Julie's account so I could withdraw it. It could be worse. There are still some real inconveniences, but we are getting by.

I wish I could update this more often, but we are not spending as much time online as you might think. Too much to do outside. I suppose I can write posts when I get back, but based on the time of year I suspect I will need to spout off politically for a while.

No comments: