Sunday, May 09, 2010

Where was I?

No one who is a regular reader will be surprised that I have gotten busy and gotten behind on the blogging, because that’s sort of how I roll. There was an additional issue, though, in that I found I kept getting sidetracked on the subject matter.

Remember that I was starting on the issue of the lack of civility in politics—what I have noticed and why it was a concern for me, and how pride is a factor—and then I wanted to have one post on why this was bad for society and another post on why it was bad for individuals. Well I managed the first part of that way back in March, but every time that I started thinking over what I wanted to say regarding why pride and anger and all of that was bad for an individual, I kept getting back to why it was bad for society.

I always have been prone to tangents, but maybe I am just increasingly aware of the difference an individual makes for others—that you can’t really isolate yourself from your impact on society. What happens with the individual is still important for the individual’s sake.

Where I had kind of thought I would be going was that if you are full of anger, and your world is full of enemies instead of brothers, and if you are so confident that you are right in your ways that you would not be able to hear a still small voice suggesting that you are wrong, that you need to consider the fact that maybe you are a goat instead of a sheep, and that goats go to Hell. Granted, under my belief system that doesn’t mean that you are left there, but that still if Christianity is important to you, than loving your neighbor and having charity needs to be important to you, and it’s not enough to only be kind and respectful with the people who think the same way you do. Even publicans do that.

There are signs that are hopeful. I will frequently see stories of generous donations and volunteer work where clearly there are still good hearts out there. I also still see really ugly comments and arguing and wrong-headedness that will lead to bad decisions more to prove a point than anything else.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22-23)

If this is what you are feeling, perfect! But if you (for politics or other reasons) get caught up in wrath, scorn, contempt, hatred, etc., that is a problem, even if you political philosophy is sound. And because religion so frequently seems to flavor these political arguments, it can affect your salvation.

That seems like important information, and yet I keep getting distracted. That is partly getting distracted by how bad it is to have a bunch of angry, hateful people walking around and posting anonymously on message boards, but there is more.

Maybe it’s that trying to modify your behavior by fear doesn’t really work. If I only try to be good because I am scared of the results of being bad, chances are I am not going to be able to sustain it. Otherwise, people would probably have more success at dieting and quitting smoking.
However, as I try to do what is right, and I feel God’s love for me, and I act on that and love other people more, which also feels good, motivation becomes a totally different thing. I am acting out of love and gratitude and I am not doing it because of an eternal reward, but because I want to in the here and now. And then I find out that even small actions can make a huge difference with people, and I learn more what is important, and ultimately when I am worried about eternal salvation it is for other people, and all I feel is peace.

I don’t know if that sounds over the top Christian or ridiculous flower child, and really, I am a very practical, grounded person. Also, I do worry about my soul at times when there are weaknesses that I can’t seem to shake, and even when I am doing well at being kind, I often feel like I am totally awkward, or I realize later that there was an opportunity that I completely missed, so don’t get the wrong idea about me that way either.

What I’m trying to get at is that love changes things. Specifically, charity changes things. It elevates and uplifts, and beautifies. It increases your enjoyment, and it can bring some increased pain too, I suppose, because you do care more, but it has rich rewards, and it is a shame what some people will choose over charity.

You know, I could give different examples of that, but then I think it would become kind of scolding, and I don’t want to do that. Plus, then maybe I would feel pride for not being like these people, and that would just be wrong.

So I guess I am leaving it at “Love is good.” Aren’t you glad you read this?

No comments: