Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Task: Recipes and myrecipe.org

Occasionally I will post about something that I made, and someone will want the recipe. That’s flattering, and I like accommodating people anyway, so I would post things as much as possible.

I am a big fan of Goodreads, and someone had posted about a site called Cookbooker, and I thought, hey, maybe I can be organized in sharing my recipes, so I wanted to go check it out. I have previously mainly used http://recipesource.com/, but you get a lot of duplicates, and I was willing to believe there was something better.

I found the site, http://www.cookbooker.com/, and found out that the title is actually quite literal. The recipes have to come out of books. You can list your variations, but everything has to start with a book and page number.

Well, that wasn’t going to work for me at all. I get recipes off the internet, and out of Foodday (the recipes in both of which often do come from books, but I do not pay attention to that), and I also just make things up. Sometimes I think of how I believe it will work once I have an idea, and often I will look at a few similar recipes as a plausibility check, but I do not cook by the book.

I still had the bug, though, so I was looking for other sites. I finally decided the one I wanted was http://www.myrecipe.org/. I liked the setup, so I created a log in and entered two recipes that I had just posted on Facebook: fake fried rice (the rice is steamed, then you add the fried ingredients) and cashew chicken.

It was a lot of work. It has you add one step at a time, and it likes pictures to be added. Actually, that is very practical in terms of the end result, but it is not user-friendly—at least not with the kind of cooking rebel that I am. I have a photo gallery of making gnocchi, so it should be easy to add, but there are all those steps, plus I never know the amounts of anything I am doing.

I did try taking additional photos and measuring more, but I was always trying new things, and never sure how it would come out, and ultimately, I still only have those two recipes up. I have not given up on the idea, but as priorities go it has slid way down.

That being said, I will gladly describe how I cook anything over the phone, or we can get together and I will demonstrate. If it doesn’t come out because of my refusal to be consistent, well, I hope you find that to be part of the fun.

P.S. These methods don’t really work with baking.


Tae-Bo Instructional Workout (20/60)
Crunches
Matthew 27 – Mark 6

No comments: