Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Concert Journal Part IV: I Love You, But We Just Can't See Each Other

Sometimes you go hoping for a good show and getting disappointed, but sometimes you know that you just shouldn't go in the first place.
I came to the Ramones late, and they were already starting to die off, so attending one of their shows was really an issue. If you had a reunion show of all the surviving members now, you would have three drummers and one guitarist (obviously Elvis Ramone doesn't count). Still, take me back a few years, and I still don't think I could have ever belonged in the crowd at CBGBs.

This isn't necessarily the fault of the band. Punk bands back in the day attracted a lot of skinheads and thugs who were really just there to get in a fight. Even those who were showing their appreciation for the music were often doing it with bodily fluids. This is just not my scene. (And it would be about the same with the Clash, but I can't imagine them reuniting either, even if they have only lost Joe Strummer.)

I think things would be different for an established band, playing a concert hall instead of a club, but that doesn't necessarily mean I belong in the audience. I heard that Rancid and AFI were touring together, and I have to say that intrigued me. At the same time, Rancid looks as stereotypically punk as you can get. AFI looks more Goth really. Musically, I remember listening to their CD and thinking they were talented and it was powerful, but it really sounded like they had been attacked by vampires and had some real anger issues over it. I think that could have lent an oppressive mood to the show.

Anyway, even though I would be drawn to that concert, somehow I think I would be kind of an anomaly there. I suppose I could just hang out at the back, but when I heard about it they were actually already gone. I don't really listen to the radio much, so I am often behind that times. I will think a song is new and great and it's been out for two years. I guess I haven't been hip since MTV stopped playing music videos.

With the previously mentioned concerts, that is my speculation that I would not enjoy the show despite enjoying the discography, but there is one group where I kind of know. Blink 182 has a concert CD, and it is really annoying. I kept having to fast forward the banter, because it was too stupid. If I attended a concert, I would just be yelling at them to grow up, and if they were interested in that they would never have joined a rock band. But musically, I like them.

Mosiah 1-6
10769 steps

No comments: