Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Best Set in Hollywood

Okay, I don't technically know that, and it's not technically in Hollywood because the studio is located in Culver City. Nonetheless, I would be really surprised to find out there was one with more laughter or with more caring people.

I mentioned the rapid-fire patter as we were going over all of the preparation, but I can't adequately explain how fun it was. Not everyone is as high-energy as Maggie, but everyone is pretty funny. There is a lot of joking, and random bursting into song, both in the green room and on the sound stage. There is also just a lot of caring. And that's not just with the contestant crew. We spend more time with them, but everyone, from make-up to the person who wires you with your microphone, is super-nice and doing everything they can to put you at ease.

We know it's not logistically possible for everyone to win, but it really felt like they were rooting for each of us, and they cared about us as individuals.

This brings me to a story from years back. The stage manager, Glenn, used to be the contestant coordinator, like Maggie is now. I remember him from my very first try out for the college tournament. At one of the Portland auditions (I believe the one where I played the practice game, but did not do well) as I was exiting I remember him giving me an encouraging look. And that would have been nice anyway, but the other crazy thing is I remember a look of recognition, like he remembered me from the other times. And I remember thinking, that's crazy--they must see hundreds of people. Well, they do see hundreds of people. I know for the last online test I took, there were 100,000 people who took it. Out of that, they need 400 for the season. I'm not sure how many make it from the test to the auditions, but I would guess at least 1200, probably more. And yet, when I saw Maggie that day, she mentioned something about the audition in Seattle. I don't know how many people it is even possible to remember, but I know they are paying attention, and I am pretty impressed by them.

If you are thinking about trying out yourself, that may be one of the best reasons. They're good people, and a lot of fun.

No comments: