Saturday, July 07, 2012

Minor Adjustments


I have been feeling really overextended these past few days. Obviously the volunteer work has put me over the edge. No, that’s not it.
I don’t know if it’s obvious, but keeping up with the blogging has been really difficult lately. I have really liked this system of having multiple posts ready. Not only is having several day’s worth of content a stress reliever, but then I get multiple chances to proofread, and it makes them better. 
It is easy to do that when I am developing a theme, but lately I have been struggling. There are a lot of series that I am almost ready to start, but with things that I still need to do, so it was bugging me. I couldn’t start my Black History month writing because I was not done with the reading, and I wasn’t done with my graphic novel research, so I could not get started on that, and I was not done writing my own graphic novel, so I could not get started on that. Oh, and I am totally not prepared for the next round of music writing either.
There have been some good things about the past few days. I forced myself to get a few things (Legacy of Ashes and writing to my cousins in Italy) done that I have been procrastinating for a long time, mainly because they were things I could do relatively quickly. Also, I was not expecting to do the Trump thing, but I am kind of proud of that. It had 49 hits within two days, which is a lot for me, and I can see from the stats that people are trying the same searches I did, and so I am glad I could help. I still think someone else could do it better, but I nonetheless feel like my effort had value.
Anyway, I only had one book left for my planned history reading, but it was a long one, and I just decided not to read it, and suddenly everything feels better. I know that’s the right decision, because I was worrying over lots of things that I had to do, and none of them seem as stressful now.
Part of the issue is mission creep, and I can explain this easily with the graphic novels. I made a list of ones I thought I should read to get a good overview, and it was a decent list, but obviously it did not take everything in, which would be impossible. I kept thinking of others. I had no Gaiman on the list! How could I feel like I had even given the genre a fair shake if I hadn’t read any Gaiman? Or Miller? But did I want to read Miller?
The point is, I have given up on The Bell Curve, maybe permanently, maybe not, but why it was on the list, and what else was there, will be covered in the next post.

No comments: