Saturday, August 11, 2012

Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan’s Hope

I had mentioned in the last post that I felt like it was time to watch this movie. It involved another milestone—my first streaming rental. Well, I’m not sure that it was technically a stream. I think it is more like I watched it from the cloud, and I can do so as many times as I want within a 48 hour period.

I had kind of been thinking about watching it anyway because during Comic-Con I was seeing a lot on it. I got on Twitter so I could follow various Grimm people, plus with Seth Green and a few others, well, it kind of seemed like the whole world was there, but none of the political writers I follow mentioned it, so clearly that was an illusion. (They are all over the Paul Ryan selection though.)

I seem to remember the initial review saying that it was pleasant but did not touch on some important things. Reading the comments on IMDB, there was a lot more of that, with people feeling like this was missing or that was missing, and everyone disagreeing about what was missing. Maybe it’s because I have never been, so I don’t have a horse in this race, but I loved it.

I guess I had thought it would focus more on the fans attending to browse and watch and dress up, and that does get covered, but in this case they focused on a few people, all there with specific goals. There were two aspiring artists, one comic book vendor, a costume designer with her crew participating in Masquerade, and also a couple where the guy was planning on proposing during the Kevin Smith panel. There was also a collector. They did not spend a lot of time on him, but I think it was probably enough.

I have to consider it a successful film. I believe it gave me a good feeling for what the convention would be like, and I was emotionally moved.

(Mild spoilers follow, but not ones that should necessarily wreck your enjoyment of the film. Biggest ones just in the next paragraph.)

When the seller sold enough, that he decided that he did not need to sell his first issue Red Raven, and announced that it was no longer for sell, that felt good. When the team got the animatronics glitch repaired before going on, and they got a positive response and won their prize, that was great. I did not have a huge response to the collector getting his figure, or to the proposal, perhaps because I have no heart, but hey, they accomplished their goals.

The two artists were the ones that affected me most. I know at Stumptown they have had options for people to have their portfolios critiqued, but here people are actually looking for jobs. It’s like doing the pitches at Willamette Writer’s Conference, though I am not sure if the odds are better or worse.

I liked the Soldier better than the Geek (as they were designated), but in a way the Geek’s journey was more moving, because he is getting told really important things, and it is not a sentence of doom, but it is discouraging, or are you going to take it and build on it? And there was a real question there.

(And believe me, I get it. I’m still waiting for someone to say “Not only do I think your stuff is good but I actually have a funds, and pull, and I will put them behind you. You ARE what we are looking for!”)

I suppose the reasons why I cared about those storylines more, rather than the couple or the collector, is that there are combined passions. Someone is into gaming, and design, and they put them together. Someone is into comics, and drawing, and they develop that talent and then they want to capitalize on that talent. And an old man who is a 38-year veteran of Comic-Con will put his prize possession on the line because he is not going to let his business die. I get that, and it got to me.

There were other things that were cool too. Interspersed with the various plot threads were interviews where there were regular ordinary fans, and industry insiders, and all sorts of cool people.

First off, Gee! This should not be a surprise at all—I know Gerard Way has gone to Comic-Con before—but it nonetheless was a surprise, and a pleasant one. And I don’t think I had seen that particular hair color before.

Also, Seth Green! When he refers to My Love, @claregrant, in his Tweets, I did not know that was where there relationship started. It makes total sense, but it is fun to know.

And Grant Morrision! So previously I have only seen him in a couple of MCR videos (speaking of Gerard Way), and he has been pretty terrifying. Here, he is speaking, and okay, I knew he was from Scotland, but there is knowing it and hearing him being engaging and charming in that accent, and talking about Dr. Manhattan while I am reading Watchmen, and okay, now he is not scary.

Other fun interviews include Joss Whedon, Matt Groening, Eli Roth, and Guillermo Del Toro being adorable. Oh, and Frank Miller. I’ve been reading a lot of his work lately. I feel like I am forgetting some, but ultimately, I liked the movie. I was charmed by it. Maybe it’s different if you’re an insider, but they got a lot of insiders to talk to them.

There is one question that does not quite get answered. Well, it isn’t quite asked, but it is addressed. The vendor and others mention how it is not just comics anymore. Initially there were the movies and shows that came from comics, and that is kind of taking over, even without direct connections. So, for some people that’s a complaint, or a concern that can totally be legitimate. For other, it is being offended that they are surrounded by those that are not geek enough, which I find a little more questionable. The question it raises for me overall, though, is the future. What happens to comics? It’s not a simple question.

First of all, yes, Lucasfilm takes over the loading dock, but I believe those films end up leading to several comics. Lots of shows that don’t start out as comics end up as comics. There will be more content. Also the presence of those shows should be something that increases the exposure, increases the ability to get good guests, and increases the availability of swag. That can be a positive influence.

What seems important then, is that the comics remain viable—that they can take advantage of the increased exposure, and be appreciated and bought. As I do this, I am seeing that there is so much to comic books that it is not an easy question or an easy field to predict, but I keep coming back to that passion coming through with the main characters, and with the interviews who are not ashamed to let their geek flag fly. I have to feel positive. There’s something there.

Good job Morgan Spurlock!

No comments: