Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wedding Bell Blue$

No, this title does not mean that I am getting married and worried about paying for it. I am also not depressed about not getting married (at least not at this time). It’s something different.
We have been talking to a number of engaged people recently (seven couples between the three of us), and we are happy for pretty much all of them, but it has been a strong reminder of how stressful getting married can be. Actually, the other night I dreamt of 70 people from out of town descending upon Oklahoma for the wedding of a couple that is not yet engaged in waking life. So, weddings are on the brain, but grounded in the details of reality rather than just a gauzy vision sparkling with fairy dust. I am no fun.
I was looking up something for one friend I had written up a few years back. It came out of an email thread with a different friend. It was essentially organizational, sorting out what she already had and what she could think about. I’m not sure how helpful it will be for this couple. I am toying with the idea of doing a better write-up that instead of starting with one couple takes things from scratch.
The one theme that would keep coming up is consciously choosing your priorities. That has always been my thing – mindfulness in general is important to me – but I was thinking about it more after a conversation with the mother of one of the engaged.
In this case, the bride’s family is in Utah, and the groom’s extended family is in Utah, and so there was the question of whether to do something here, and the answer seems to be no, the immediate family will just go to Utah.
There was some concern about that, but as we were talking I told her that often people don’t really even remember receptions. I hadn’t thought about it before, but I realized it was true. Sometimes I can remember specific things, but often not which couple it was.
I don’t want to give the wrong impression about that. I have enjoyed going to receptions, and visiting with people, and getting together with other people can totally be great, but there may be easier parties to throw.
One of the couples will be spending $5600 on their location. (From another couple, I know that there are places that charge significantly more for weddings than other events, though I don’t know if that applies in this case.) It is something they really want, and that’s their call. For me, that’s more than ten weeks of take-home pay, and it would be completely irresponsible.
I remember once helping roll rosebuds for a wedding favor. Basically it was two Hershey’s kisses in pink cellophane and then there was green floral tape and a wire. I can’t remember if we had leaves or not. Now, I did inded take my rose, and eat the two kisses after the reception, and the labor wasn’t awful because I think it was four or five of us doing it while chatting, so it could have been much worse. Still, I’m not sure it was the best use of resources. They did look nice.
Pretty much every component of a wedding is expensive. Sometimes you can mitigate the expense with labor, and some things are both a lot of work and money. Most of us don’t have a lot of money or time, so it is worth considering the actual value of any one componenet.
And yes, I did indeed go through and plan my dream wedding more than once on the path from little girl to adult woman. In fact, I know I still have at least one wedding dress sketch somewhere, along with a solution for how to make a veil work with my unruly hair.
It’s not that I don’t want things to be beautiful or memorable, but it’s a matter of realizing that a lot of what is standard is not essential, and then letting that liberate you to come up with something that works for you.
I know people who have skipped the cake, the flowers, and the dress. (Not all the same ones; those were multiple different receptions.) I have seen music come from a 4-piece string quartet and from an iPod. I have seen environments totally transformed, and not transformed at all. I have even seen the reception happen the night before the wedding because that day was just going to be too busy. I’m not saying some things didn’t work out better than others, but I’m not sure how much any of those details matter to any of those couples now.
After all, nervous exhaustion and bankruptcy is not the best way to start your future.
Link to the old post is here, but I can probably do better, and yes, my sisters and I are generally available to help.

No comments: