Thursday, February 14, 2013

Band Review: Sky Crawlers

Sky Crawlers is a pop punk/punk rock band from Turkey. The best comparison I can make is to early Green Day. Yes, I am a little surprised to be aware of them.

This is a case of a band that followed me on Twitter, and I followed back, and therefore I always knew I would review them. I am going with them for today because I am pressed for time and they don’t have a very large catalog yet, so I had time to review them.

I have to say that they are a lot of fun to listen to. On Soundcloud, that includes three songs, loaded individually and together on a three song demo. “The Voice Inside My Head” is my favorite of the three.

All of the songs are pretty good, guitar driven with fast tempos. The vocals sometimes come off as a bit flat, but that could almost be a recording issue. They also have some work to do on stage presence. From an instrumental point of view, they are very solid.

Moving over to Youtube they have nine videos, and you can watch them all in about half an hour. All three songs from Soundcloud are represented, as well as some previews of a new song and a Fall Out Boy cover.

In addition to their music, I like their attitude. On their Facebook page they list their influences as “Everything” and their hometown as “Earth”. That just warms my heart, even if I wasn’t predisposed towards punk.

I don’t know what my odds of getting to see them are, whether that means them touring the States or me making my way to Turkey, but I could be good with either of those. Check them out.

No comments: