Thursday, March 07, 2013

Band Review: Daniel Pearson

Daniel Pearson is another musician discovered through Twitter. We do follow each other, but he does not seem to have been doing that thing of following lots of people randomly to gain exposure, so I’m not sure how it happened. Possibly we connected over Gaslight Anthem.

Actually, I am not sure that I originally knew that he was a musician. He will occasionally link to videos or press releases, but I have really enjoyed his commentary on the Brit awards and other things that are going on in music. What I’m saying is, you are not just following a musician; you are following a smart and interesting person. Anyway, it was a good discovery, and I don’t mind having a little bit of mystery.

Daniel Pearson is a singer/songwriter from Leeds. His debut album Satellites came out in 2011, and was quickly followed in 2012 by Mercury State, inspired by the recession and social inequality.

With the social and political emphasis of the music, many of the reviews draw comparisons to Bob Dylan, and based on content, this is somewhat fair, but Pearson is a much better singer.

I know, I’m throwing away some credibility by admitting this, but Dylan is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. I get that there is a social impact, and that he means a lot to a lot of people, and I simply do not care. Maybe I’m the wrong age, maybe I’m not enough of a hippie, but apparently he is just not for me. Sorry.

Daniel Pearson, on the other hand, sings and plays well. Comparisons to folk are not unreasonable, though the more accurate label is probably indie rock. Especially on Mercury State, the overall sound is often mellow, with stripped down acoustics that would be completely appropriate for sidewalk busking or a peace rally.

He can rock, and he does. The best example of that may be his single “One for Conversation”, but grooving lines come up on several songs on both albums, including “Promises” and “Tracks”. “4th July” starts off as practically honky-tonk with the rhythm of train tracks running through it.

The rock elements are there, but the simple melancholy of “Factory Floor” may seem more characteristic, as it takes a hard look at the uprooting of a life that will be hard-pressed to find a new direction.

That sounds depressing, but that would be an oversimplification. “Hard Times” is about hard times, obviously, but there is an unconquerable spirit beating through it, and if there is longing in “I Still Believe”, it is longing that believes relief is possible, so there is some optimism there. Add “Waves in the Sea” to that, as a song that believes in good outcomes, and human relationships.

CDs can be purchased through Pearson’s web site, but the music is also available through iTunes, Amazon, and eMusic. Also, all albums and tracks that I have mentioned can be heard through Spotify.

No comments: