Thursday, March 28, 2013

Band Review: Partners

This is another band that I found on Twitter, but not in the traditional way. Mike Kennerty, of the All American Rejects, recorded their new album, Sixes, and sent a tweet with their Bandcamp link. They do not have a Twitter account at this time, but they are on Facebook.

Among their tags on Bandcamp is “screamo”, which I haven’t really listened to before, but I have read a little about it. Actually, their music reminds me of two separate genres. One is punk, with the intensity and brevity of their tracks. Only one of the songs on Sixes is longer than three minutes (“Indian Giver” at 3:05), and some of them are considerably shorter (the shortest, “Manners”, is only 1:19). Punk lies at the roots of screamo (via emotional hardcore), so that makes sense.

That being said, the songs are not as fast-paced as more traditional punk. Even the faster songs still feel within the realm of rock more than punk, though that can be a fine line. Actually, in some ways Partners reminded me of Crow Black Sky, who call  themselves black metal, though I question that classification. The similarity is due to the aggressive guitar, still with some intricacy in the lines, but hard-driving and emotionally strong. However, Partners are not as growling in the vocals.

Beyond that (punk and South African black metal), I can’t make any other comparisons; Partners are fairly unique among what I have listened to (which is admittedly limited).

I think some of that intricacy is achieved by giving the multiple guitars different jobs, so perhaps one will be firing off in a machine gun staccato while another one will be playing a gentler melody in a higher register, and suddenly you have layers. “Manners” just gallops. Melody is very much achieved via the instruments, where vocals are more shouts to convey the lyrics and the pain (or anger). These songs would be difficult to sing.

There are two albums available on Bandcamp. Jamme has five tracks, and individual tracks can be downloaded free. Sixes, with seven tracks, is available for purchase, but you can set your own price. All tracks can be listened to for preview, and the Sixes tracks can be purchased individually as well as on the album.

I suppose there was another punk similarity when I was listening to “Call It”. The simplicity and brevity of the lyrics (there are only four lines) reminded me of Pencey Prep a little. However, that is not their norm. Sixes opens with “Call It” and goes straight into “Nearly Met”, which has their longest and most complex lyrics, and the is followed by an instrumental, “Plan Is No Plan”.

I should point out, though, that reading through the lyrics has a completely different feeling than listening to them. The lyrics fit the songs, but understanding the emotions only happens by hearing them with the music. It’s the only way that you can pick up on the energy.

I spent most of my listening time with Sixes, but I especially want to call out two tracks on Jamme. I love the interesting structure on “Nothing” and “Noment” is really rocking.


No comments: