Friday, March 22, 2013

Band Review: Titors Insignia


Yes, Titors Insignia did follow me on Twitter, but they also specifically messaged me and asked if I would review them, and provided MP3 files without any complaints about waiting in line for a few weeks, so that all won my heart.

After reviewing a lot of more synthesized bands lately, Titors Insignia is very much traditional rock. There are driving guitar chords. There is thumping. Occasionally there is feedback, and possibly even sneering. And, although this is totally not my area of expertise, I think some of it may be suitable for moshing. Maybe “Timewaster” – I mean, if it’s not made for moshing, it’s at least made for driving fast, and “Fair City Riots” definitely has head-banging potential.

It’s not that they don’t ever do anything different. “Lonely Girl” starts off with some lovely strings and then does it’s own thing, where it’s kind of more voice-driven and spoken. It switches between reminding me of Damn Yankee’s “Higher” and Queen’s “Fat-Bottomed Girls”, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, “The Chancer” stands apart from everything else. It starts with a kind of otherworldly intro, and then morphs into a tune that insists on dancing without being at all clubby.

In addition, “Freedom Fighter” has a quiet energy to it. “Break the Chains” is more forceful, but both of them are powerful pleas for change, and improvement.

So, they can do different things, but it keeps coming back to powerful rock. Funk and groove gets mixed in, and I would say there are even some little disco callbacks on “Bring it On Home” (I could be kidding myself), but it keeps going back to powerful rock. There is an overall feeling of strength throughout.

This strength may come from the character of the members. In addition to some of the messages in their songs, there is a larger commitment to society, where “I Need the Real Thing” is a charity single, benefiting Models of Diversity, and they are working on donating “Freedom Fighter” to ABF (Army Benevolent Fund, for soldiers).

I just want to give a few more callouts. Let’s mention the rolling intro on “Set in Stone”; “I Don’t Love You”, a song that has a similar energy to “Rock and Roll, Part 2” (which makes me want to roller skate to it); and “A Town Called Yesterday”, which I just really like. I don’t always have an analysis.

A good starting point, however, is probably “Beg Plead and Pray”. As hard-rocking as it is, the emotion really comes through, and it sticks with you. (Though, I do feel like “Out of Sight, Out of Mind” would be really good in concert.)

Although the coverage on Soundcloud is pretty good for listening, and the availability on CDBaby is pretty good for buying, you must go to Youtube and check out “Three Lions on Fire”, a song for England’s World Cup. It doesn’t appear to be anywhere else, and they seem to be having a lot of fun with the video, though I’m sure it’s more meaningful if you know anything about the team.

For other links, Facebook does a pretty good job of showing upcoming dates, under Events. They do seem to play fairly frequently, though that is around Manchester and Staffordshire.

4 comments:

EnglishGirls.co.uk said...

Hi

This is a good review of a band I know from my local town. I run a website called St Helens Now and I was wondering if I could publish this article on the website. I will of course give full credits and a link to you Blog.

Thanks, Barry
St Helens Now

sporktastic said...

That would be great! I know they have a few upcoming performances in St Helens.

Barry Grady said...

Hi

I have posted your article on St Helens Now. Let me know what you think.

http://www.sthelensnow.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=71

sporktastic said...

Looks great. Good luck with the site!