Thursday, May 16, 2013

Band Review: Move Out West


Move Out West is another band that came to my attention when they followed me on Twitter, and I have mixed feelings about them.
Some of the subject matter seems a little tawdry (sex and drugs, lots of coke in “Magic Eight-Ball”), and I concerned that it is gratuitous. It may not be though. One thing is that they are a young band, so at this point any topic that comes up in a song seems prevalent. Honestly, it could all be explained by one horrific ex-girlfriend.
That aspect leaves me hesitant to fully embrace them, but, again, it’s too early for them to be defined by anything yet, and hey, it’s nothing worse than Third Eye Blind, and I like them.
I do want to keep checking them out for the musical quality. There is a real yearning in their songs, and I can connect to that aching. They know your troubles; they’ve felt like that too. They are good at building drama within a song (actually, the way the songs build in general), making effective use of voices and instruments. I really like what the guitars are doing on “Sink With You”, and I like their general tempo.
So, I’m curious as to where they’re going, and whom they’re going to be, but I think it’s worth keeping an ear on them. Music is available through iTunes.
https://www.youtube.com/user/moveoutwest

No comments: