Thursday, June 06, 2013

Concert-going music-writing update



I feel really bad for not having a band review for today. The deal is that I am going to a show with four bands tonight, and have been listening to all of them in preparation.
I considered writing about one of them today, pre-show, but then what if the show completely changes my opinion? I also thought about throwing in some completely unconnected band, but I don't know if I could do anyone else justice. Also, there are some reasons for doing a general update.
First of all, tonight is significant in that this is the first time I will be seeing bands who have followed me on Twitter before writing about them. I am seeing Farewell My Love and Chomp Chomp Attack!, along with Kissing Candice and Snow White's Poison Bite. Obviously my tendency is to favor Farewell My Love and Chomp Chomp Attack!, but I will try and treat everyone fairly.
In terms of what gets posted when, the tricky part is that it gives me only three days to cover those four bands before my next concert. I may combine two, but I don't know. It's cutting it a little close, but sometimes that's interesting. We'll see.
Anyway, that makes tonight interesting, and then I have an exciting next few concerts coming up. I will even be attending some with other people. Let's reference my last post on this topic:
That takes us through Fall Out Boy, and their show with New Politics is why I worry about how I am going to fit in everyone tonight. Since then, I have tickets for three additional shows, not counting tonight. In October, my sisters and a friend and I will go see the Pet Shop Boys, and in September a similar configuration, but with a different friend, is going to see Adam Ant. That's quite the spot of 80's nostalgia, you may be thinking, but that is not the most important thing, because July 16th, I am going to see Jimmy Eat World.
Yes, that is correct, the missing 5 concerts that grew out of the original missing 3, where so many spots have just been filled in over the past few months, is getting an important addition. That really only leaves Maroon 5, which, again, ambiguous now. I am leaning more pro than con right now, because when people do get mad at Adam Levine, it is always for stupid reasons, and it brings out my protective side. That's not important now.
The important thing is that I am going to see Jimmy Eat World, and I called it! I said July. And it was more than calling it actually, because they posted some tour dates, and Portland was missing, but it fit in really easily, and I sent them a tweet. I said I wasn't mad, but they forgot Portland and it would fit in really well on the way down from Vancouver.
They didn't reply -- I don't know if they even saw it -- so I'm not saying I made the date happen. I may have psychically predicted it though. Or yeah, maybe I made it happen by sheer force of will. The important thing is that it is happening.
So, where does this leave us for other concert needs and wants? Well, obviously August is still a blank, so it would be nice for something to happen there. It's probably too early for Revenir, but November looks promising for Reggie and the Full Effect, which would be another first, in seeing a band in concert that I have reviewed just based on listening. Maybe Revenir could come in December. The truth is, I have no idea on lead time for planning a tour. It probably takes longer with larger venues.
The little drawback is that I seem to be loving Alkaline Trio, and they are actually here on the 8th, and I don't even think it's sold out, but I am so overloaded that I can't do it. They seem to reach Portland on a regular basis though, so I may get a chance. I am listening to "Mercy Me" in rotation with "Own Worst Enemy" by Lit. Maybe Lit will come. It's easy to be optimistic about good bands coming right now. I've been really lucky.

No comments: