Thursday, August 08, 2013

Band Review: The Fever Cadence


The Fever Cadence is a three-person band from Queens New York, occasionally bringing in other members. Their Facebook profile lists them as alternative/indie/pop rock. I would say they are fairly low-key, with good energy but nothing bombastic.
It also says that they are currently writing new songs and getting ready for a new album, but they already have a pretty decent output. You can listen to seven unique tracks on their main web site, along with an acoustic version of "Behind Closed Eyes".
They are a good band to cover while I am going through the guitar comments, because I really like what they are doing guitar-wise. In addition, I find that their lyrics are often poignant, as the deal with emotional honestly and human connection.
The sound quality on some of the tracks is not great, but as they begin work on the actual album that will be something they can pay more attention to. Also, vocals are sometimes a little flat. That is fairly common with young bands. One thing I have been thinking about recently, not specifically in relation to The Fever Cadence, is that while it seems like it would be hard to pick up an instrument by ear, you are probably at least hearing what it really sounds like, and with your voice you don't. Listening to recordings may help, but I am really seeing the value of vocal coaching.
Anyway, it's not something to hold against the band. There's a good amount of variety in what they do. I like how "Fasten Your Seatbelts" starts off a little Western, then goes kind of Eastern European and gets a little blues-y. That one reminds me a little of the change-up you get in "Hang 'Em High" by My Chemical Romance, but I would say that each intro is unique. "The Distance Between Us" is probably my favorite.
The band's home page is the best starting point, with links to everything else, but you can purchase their 5-track EP for $3.00 on Bandcamp, which I intend to do.

No comments: