Friday, August 23, 2013

Band Review: San Juan


San Juan is a folk/alternative band out of Seattle. Their music currently seems to be most accessible via Facebook, with recordings of four songs being performed live.
While the songs generally have a bit more groove than traditional folk (perhaps indicating that they lean more towards alternative), there is a definite folksy feel as you listen to their banter with the audience while performing. The band seems very accessible.
"She's Been Out There" has some blues-y bass in it, whereas "Hey Yo Sister" and "Golden Shoes" are a little mellower, and softer, conveying a different emotion, but one that works within the songs.
The only song I really want to complain about is "I Need You", which strains so horribly for rhymes I thought it must be a joke. Actually it's a cover of a country song, which I guess makes sense, but I have to recommend against it. If the audience tends to give a good response. maybe the band should stick with it. The band performs it well as far as that goes, but it's just hideous. This could just be a result of my prejudice against country music and abuse of the English language, but my recommendation is to go to their page and listen to the first three songs only.
Music does not currently appear to be for sale, but appearances do get displayed on the web page.

No comments: