Monday, November 25, 2013

Bad Music Writing


I had mentioned how some people get negative about crowdsourcing. Some of them make good points, and leave me with mixed feelings, thought the doubts are usually more about specific projects than the concept in general. However, there was one article that filled me with unalloyed hate. It was on Vice.com.

This was interesting to me, because the last article that filled me with hatred was also on Vice. Disliking music writing has been fairly consistent for me, but it is usually just vague irritation or maybe disgust. This was rage, and once again, I only knew about the article because the musician criticized mentioned it.

I will put links to related blog posts at the bottom, but the ones I am thinking of are long, and cover a lot of ground, so I will sum up. The first time, Brian Fallon tweeted a link to a Vice piece on the Gaslight Anthem that was vicious, but also where the facts did not track, and I was bothered by the lack of responsibility that came with the bile. The second article was so similar, that I initially thought it was the same writer. Allow to explain how it came about.

I had a Skype call with James Dewees because of the Kickstarter. Actually it was a Skype concert. I haven't done a concert review for that, but it was pretty cool. He asked me to choose three songs in advance. I knew two for sure ("Take Me Home Please" and "Mood 4 Luv"), but I was torn between "Get Well Soon" and "Congratulations Smack + Katy" for the third. I said he might know if one would be better for this type of performance.

He only replied with the time for the Skype call, so I did not know what to expect, but he had done a completely new arrangement of "Get Well Soon", and I thought, "Wow, he really did think about this."

So that was cool, and I mentioned a little last week about how good he was about the frequent Kickstarter updates, and all of the things that were good about following that, but then also we got to talk. I had questions about music, because of my emo research and the way "Summertime" has haunted me, and I was curious about the Kickstarter. As we were talking about that, he asked if I had seen the Vice article. I hadn't, and we didn't really focus on it, but I was curious and looked it up later. Behold rage number two:


There is just a lot wrong with it. Certainly the initial feeling is that you are criticizing something I like, and I take umbrage. And you know, maybe nastiness begets nastiness, because the author mentions being in a band himself at one point, and I remember thinking that the stench of his own failure was getting into his writing. This is perhaps unfair; he may have never really tried to go pro.

Again, it is written from a fairly uninformed point of view, but it leaves things vague enough that pointing at specific issues becomes difficult. The author doesn't know the music, but he throws in a crack about pensive girls with lip rings. It gives a negative impression, but with hardly any factual basis. He thinks he remembers girls like that wearing the shirts. How much does that even mean?

It is that general viewpoint of contempt,  throwing in words like sad-ass, when it is not particularly sad. There does seem to be some research specifically for the purpose of confirming the impression, but not for actually understanding it. I don't think restarting Reggie and the Full Effect is equivalent to restarting the career of James Dewees, because Dewees always seems to have multiple projects going on. He started writing the songs in Los Angeles, but for the Kickstarter he was in New York. I think that means he was still working for My Chemical Romance when he started on the concept. That's not exactly down-on-his-luck.

Initially I also thought he had the wrong numbers on Velvet Underground sales. The figure he gives is almost certainly wrong, but that's a hard number to nail down, so fine, but I think there are other points that are more important.

One is the complaint about the price, because it could be done so much more cheaply. Well, the MSI Kickstarter (which I also backed), was three times that much. (I remembered the amount, but I looked it up anyway, because I could.)

Yes, Dewees has made records for much less; I'm sure MSI could have made theirs for less. That's one thing about having been in the business for a long time and working on different scales though. They know better than anyone what they need to do to produce the record they have in mind, and how to get that done.

If someone has been part of the DIY movement at one point, why should they have to stay there? If someone has a label, but has creative differences with the label, and they don't have a contract forcing them to stay, should they stay just for tradition? Those are really stupid ideas, that don't show a lot of understanding about the artistic process, which seems like it could be valuable for someone who covers the arts, only they are not limited to that. Policastro has articles about sports, transportation, and the Boston bombing, and Pappalardo has a similar mix. Somehow that seems worse.

The best thing I have read on Vice was written very carefully. It was a piece on Corey Feldman's attempt to be Hugh Hefner, basically. It was very sad - tragic, really - and deserved mockery, but Feldman had final approval on the wording. It worked perfectly. The situation spoke for itself. Embellishment would probably have weakened it, possibly causing misplaced sympathy or distracting with inaccuracy. There might be a lesson there.

I know James Dewees is not losing any sleep over the article. I'm pretty sure Brian Fallon is doing okay too. I am bugged, and while I am bugged as a fan, I think I am bugged more as a writer. So, I'll be spending more time on that tomorrow.


No comments: