Friday, November 29, 2013

Band Review: Bon-Bon and Buried By Tomorrow


As I indicated in an earlier post, I have been worried about this weekend, in terms of whether the reviews will really get read. For the Fourth of July weekend I made sure to write about British bands, thinking that it would be a normal day for their fans, and I think it worked out okay. This weekend I did the negative review, and I have two bands that I was not sure how to handle, so I am combining them. I became aware of both when they followed me on Twitter.

Bon-Bon

I have been holding off on reviewing Bon-Bon because she only had one song. Previously the minimum number of songs for any of the bands has been 3, with 5 being more common. I thought perhaps I could do a bunch of single song bands together, but she was sort of the only one. So, I thought I could do her today, and she suddenly added a second song on the 25th, which is getting some attention. I am sticking with the plan, but now I have doubts. I guess I can always return to her if there is suddenly more.

In the two songs on Soundcloud, there is a sort of a retro funk vibe, possibly some Amy Winehouse influence, but not as obviously indebted to the 60s. Technically "She Don't Want To Know" is listed as indie pop, and "Lois Lane" is listed as Lo-fi Pop. The accompaniment is interesting, but at times it seems to overpower the vocals, so could probably benefit from better mixes.



Buried By Tomorrow

Buried By Tomorrow had the usual five songs, and I listened to them some time ago, and then as I started the write-up, I discovered they had broken up. That week required some scrambling, but I still got two reviews in. I wasn't sure what to do about Buried though. It did not feel right to skip them, but was there a point in covering them. Therefore, they end up on today. Their EP Even The Dead Can Dream is still available on iTunes and Spotify.

Buried By Tomorrow was a hardcore/metalcore screamo from Quebec. They had some pretty good range to them, with a delicate instrumental in "Intro", and then moving right into the grows and aggression that is expected of screamo on "Every Smile Tells A Lie", but without completely losing melody.

It's not exactly my genre, and I am more aware now of how triggering their album cover can be than on my first round of listening, but I find myself disappointed that they are gone. I think there was some real potential there. I hope the individual members move on to other things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are You Alice is one of the 2 guitarist new band. https://www.facebook.com/Mitchcoverz