Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Carving pumpkins








I started getting the idea for how I wanted the pumpkins to look shortly after ordering the mini-comic bundles. I wasn't sure if I could make them work, but the ideas had been percolating for a couple of months. When the time came to execute, there were issues, but there always are, and it helped me realize more about why I cherish this tradition so much.
The first problem was one I had last year too, in that the pumpkins were less than fresh. There were already some soft spots and mold. That is gross to work with, but also it is an issue with the structural integrity of the design. I have always just gotten my pumpkins from the grocery store, but maybe I need to start getting them at the patch. Also, I need to light them up and get pictures that the first night, because they may not be the same by Halloween.
Otherwise, they came out pretty well. I was most worried about the My Little Pony, but I am friends with a Brony, and he and his family approved. Mainly, I needed to make the mane bigger. I thought I was done, and then realized she needed more mane. Ponies are all about the mane.
Finn and Jake were recognized right away, and I think they came out pretty well. That was the most popular of the comics too. I have never even seen Adventure Time, but related things show up a lot on Twitter and Tumblr, and I know people like it.
Itty Bitty Hellboy was the most minimalist design, which could again be a cause for concern, but Scott Allie of Dark Horse re-tweeted the photo, and I was stoked.
Overall, they came out about right. I made one foolish mistake, which was that I cut a frame all the way around Jake without leaving anything attaching him to the top of the pumpkin. That might have been less of an issue if the pumpkins were fresh, but he started shrinking and falling back. It sort of provided its own solution. By Halloween I was able to push the top of the pumpkin down below it and kind of rest him against the top, but that was not ideal.
I kind of wished for a do over, and I could have bought another pumpkin, but I regard jack o' lanterns as a one time deal. Last year I could not make the Misfits logo work, but that was last year; by this year I had moved on. It is not impossible that I might try again some time, but there is always something new to do. Right now I have no idea what I will want to do next year, but there will be something.
I realized that everything that goes wrong with carving pumpkins is what makes it right for me.
Pumpkins are imperfect raw materials. They have scratches and scars and flat spots, and even if there were none of those the natural curvature of the gourd will often sabotage the line you are cutting. If you cut too deep or too far, you can't fix it. There are no do overs. And pumpkins are ephemeral. Even starting with the freshest pumpkins ever, they will still rot and need to be disposed of. So I will make something imperfect, and it will not be a lifelong commitment.
I thought initially it was just that I liked the chance to be creative, and I liked my abilities with them. In truth, I am not that great. Some people do very elaborate things, where all the orange is stripped away and you get this sculpture with lips and eyebrows and grotesque detail. There are classes so you can learn to do that, but I think those are ugly. I have my own method, and I like it.
Because as much as I can see what I should have done differently, I still end up liking the pumpkins. That failed Misfits pumpkin was still a good pumpkin! I see the errors, and I feel them while I am carving, but then I look at this flawed seasonal art, and I like it, and I feel a sense of satisfaction that I made it. Someone told me once that oil paintings take on a look of perfection from a distance; well so do jack o' lanterns.
It's a totally temporary thing, and that's fine. A friend was telling us about her daughter getting one of those artificial pumpkins for carving, because if she was going to put all that work into it, she wanted it to last. Not for me. Next year I will want something different, and I will want to try again.
I will have learned some things. I will probably never omit an anchor to the top of the pumpkin again. I will probably still have lots of bad cuts or thin spots, or realizations after it is too late. That's just how it works, and I embrace it.



No comments: