Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Rolling Jubilee


I should probably clarify something from yesterday; I did not have anything against the Batkid story. It hit me in a way that was more intellectual than emotional, which I would not necessarily have expected for that kind of story. I feel like some of the thoughts that came from that were productive, though, so I think it worked out.
Where we are going with that this week focuses on that bit about people still being pretty okay with giving to sick kids, but maybe not to others. Today I have seen this:
There is another article with a subtext of judging the poor, which I think I will sit on for a while, and just go right to talking about Strike Debt.
I first became aware of Strike Debt and the Rolling Jubilee last year. Rolling Jubilee started on November 15th, actually, so we have just hit the anniversary.
The sites are worth visiting, but basically they pay off bad debts.
I had not really known about this, but when companies think that they cannot collect on a debt, they will sell off the accounts, for pennies on the dollar. The new owners can then work on collecting the debt. If they are successful, they have made a profit, minus the costs of collections.
There is also association with the Anonymous movement, and a desire to change the system overall. Purchasing this debt, and then canceling it, is working within the system, but there is talk of working against the system too.
It would be easy to look down on this. After all, people should have to pay for what they get, and honor the responsibilities they take one. I actually do know a family that lived above their means via consumer debt and then planned to declare bankruptcy to get out of it. I don't know whether they were able to do so successfully, because a judge still has to approve that, and it's not as easy as it looks, but yes, I know there are people like that. That is not all I know.
I also know that medical bills are the biggest cause of US bankruptcies. You can decide not to get that new television pretty easily, but deciding not to get chemo, or insulin, or that broken leg set is a much more difficult choice:
I know that during my personal economic downturn, with a lot of moving things around, and some help from family and church, and every temp job I could get, I only had one month where I could not pay a credit card bill. Since the overall period ran from September 2008 through August 2010, that was pretty good, really, but I was still suddenly getting eleven calls a day.
And, these are not bankruptcies anyway. These are accounts that are late, and the collection calls are coming. For me that was an amazingly demoralizing time, and what makes it amazing is that all those negative responses and missing responses to all of those job applications had delivered a pretty heavy blow to the morale anyway, but it had not, in fact, reached rock bottom yet, because the collection calls still sent it further down.
You can have a reasonable debate about what is wrong with the system and how to fix it. In this current arrangement, we have the original lenders losing most of their investment, the debtors still being pursued, and third parties profiting off of all of that misery.
What I am struck by is the beauty of the rolling jubilee. You get nothing in return for donating - it's not even a tax write-off - but someone, somewhere is freed. A weight has been lifted. That is grace. It is not a coincidence that there is a biblical reference in the name, or that the Bible is against usury.
With $633,180 they have abolished $14,734,569.87 of debt. Instead of harassing calls, there are letters letting them know that they are free, because strangers cared and had kind hearts.
That is beautiful. That is so good.

No comments: