Friday, January 03, 2014

Band Review: Vinyl Over Wine


There are different ways in which Vinyl Over Wine is hard to pin down compared to yesterday's review. Some of their pages could be a bit more current, but they seem to be a four-man band (previously three) from Wisconsin falling mainly within pop punk. That involves some extrapolation. Also, they seem fairly young.

I mention that because while I like them, I also cannot get the word "puerile" out of my head with them. Let's start with their video for "Bring You Down". Initially it looked like two extended boner jokes and then a drag joke. Watching a second time, the third segment makes it look more like there is this larger story of the awkward guy who fails three times and then it works out. However, there are still the two extended boner jokes and the guy in drag.

The first track I listened to was "The United States of Dadcore", which starts with a quote from Reagan when he was speaking for Goldwater (where he seems to be using a straw man argument, but I would need to do more research more context) and then a lot of F-words. It's easy to write that off, but listening again, it seems to be statement of nihilism that could feel like the most natural response to neocon hostility.

On one level I am stuck on the juvenile aspects, but they are musically pretty solid, I like the guitar playing, and they remain likable. It may be their fresh faces, which goes along with youth, but also in their studio and promotional videos, they come off as sweet and fun, if not mature. "Let's Invite Our Dads Over For Christmas" shows a different side, and the song is well-done, regardless of its humorous underpinnings.

So, I have a soft spot for Vinyl Over Wine, and I think they can do interesting things. Their Everyday Problems EP, and a T-shirt, are available through Big Cartel:




No comments: