Monday, January 27, 2014

Bass notes


Last week was about catching up on the drawing and screenwriting, which is one type of creativity, and now I have a lot to say about the blogging and music writing. The natural space between that is the bass playing. That also works because the bass just may be the aspect of my life that best represents all of the other aspects. I am still pretty bad at it, and I still love it.

I am not naturally good at bass. It's not just being new to it; my fingers are pretty short. It reminds me of when Lisa Simpson was told how her stubby fingers would hold her back for saxophone. I don't think my fingers look stubby, but when I am trying to get them into the right position it feels like I was crazy to ever think of playing anything larger than a ukulele.

I am also not living up to my minimum goals associated with it. I decided I would just ask myself to practice fifteen minutes a day (plus getting it up on my head), and I often don't manage that. So basically, there are time constraints and limited abilities that prove frustrating, which again fits in with all aspects of my life.

At the same time, there are things about it that are remarkably fulfilling, and touching, and where it connects me to the larger world, and that's kind of how the other things come out too.

First of all, any time I sound a pure note, or I make an adjustment and it works, it gives me joy. The amount of satisfaction per note might go down somewhat as it becomes more common, but I've probably got a while.

I still need to forge my own path, which is overly intellectual. When I was starting out, I kept sounding out scales, and having all of these questions about why things worked that way, and I realized that I needed more background to feel right. I checked out Music Theory for Dummies, and that gave me what I needed to get to the next step. There is still a lot that I don't know, but it filled up the gaps that were bothering me. It also gave me future books to read, and introduced me to Boethius, so that was time well spent.

It has allowed me to help people. I have two Twitter friends who are learning guitar, and encountering frustrations. Even though I am sure that they already surpass me in playing and that they will get far better at this than I ever will, I have still been able to tell them things they need to hear. That is a really hard song; two of the best guitar players out there are featured on it, so give yourself some time. Your ear develops faster than your ability, so you will hear your errors before you can fix them, and that seems like torture, but it's how we get better. I might have known those things already, but I understand them better now.

I have gotten help from unexpected places through Twitter as well. About a month ago, one guitarist was sending other acquaintances a picture of a very unusual guitar, that I think would be hard to play, and I say that without intending any entendres, but they are there.

Anyway, I joined the conversation, and I sent a picture of my guitar, for no real reason except that I felt an impulse to do it and I mentioned being awkward with it. He wrote back "ahh. The flying V bass. Those can indeed feel a bit awkward to rock. Takes some getting used to..."

The first thing there is that it never occurred to me that I had picked out an awkward model, though in retrospect it totally makes sense. That might be part of my problem, and I would not have known. His saying that helps me take heart.

The other thing that is amazing is that the tweet was from Cory White, formerly of Coalesce (and some other bands) and now touring with Reggie and the Full Effect. Months ago I was listening to Coalesce, along with so many other bands, because I was trying to understand guitar better, and because they were touring with Torche. That was the show that I decided I could not go to, because I was worried about the venue, and yet I am pretty sure that is the venue where I am going to see him with Reggie Sunday night. (This show starts and will end earlier, and I'm just going to make it work.)

There are a lot of musical connections there, which is cool, but also just being present I learn things that help me, from people who really know what they are doing, and it's an amazing thing.

It is possible that I will not progress much as a player, but that what I do will help me write about music better and appreciate it more. That would be okay. At the same time, sometimes I will see someone playing and think "I could do that". I've got eight years before I'm late for starting Sabbath Keepers.

I'm just going to stick with it, at my own glacial pace. This is a magical guitar that appeared to me in a dream carried by Frank Iero, Lindsey Way taught me to drop my inhibitions with it, and Cory White has given me perspective. It is a beautiful part of my life no matter what happens from here.

So I will leave with these points to ponder. I have fallen in love at first sight with four guitars now: my bass, Dan Brown's (the Fixx) bass, the Schecter Ultra III (as seen with Kevin Preston in Prima Donna), and the guitar used by Charlie Sexton in the "Sunday Clothes" video.

Is this going to become an expensive hobby? Some people seem to end up with a lot of guitars.
What drives the chemistry, where some guitars I love instantly and others I only like?
Does it mean anything that the two 6-strings and their contexts lean a bit more Southern?
Why do some songs (especially "Bulletproof Heart" and "Thnks fr th Mmrs") make me want to play the guitar part, not the bass?

It's okay; I only really worry about the songs where I feel like I should play the keytar. I might be better at keytar, but it feels like that could lead to a scary place.

No comments: