Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Comics review: Comixology's 12 Days of Free Comics


Comixology is where I usually get my digital comics. They had a promotion where for twelve days each day there was a new free comic available, each one the first issue of a series. That was a great way to fill my December with comics. It's not that I loved them all, but I got to try a lot of things, and I appreciated that. Here is a breakdown of what they had, and how I felt about it.

Not so new to me...

Red Sonja and Hawkeye were both ones I already owned. I liked them, so I am glad other people got to try them.

I did not own Sandman, but I had already read it. Still, they are restarting the series, so this is a great time for review. Gaiman ties in the real world encephalitis lethargica epidemic of 1915 - 1926 with Morpheus's captivity, which I have always thought was really clever, though if I were going to purchase something specific from his run, it would definitely be "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

I didn't really care for...

Batman. This one was actually issue 13 of "A Death in the Family", and this is where my geek credibility would come into question, if I had any. I know people like it, but it is so sadistic and bleak, and there are a lot of other things I would rather read.

Marvel Now Point One had some lighter moments, though some were fairly dark, but mainly it seemed really messy. Establishing a large cast of characters is hard, but if the overall feeling left is confusion, and without an emotional investment, I know there is no way I will be going back.

Also, Judge Dredd just didn't appeal to me. I can't point to any specific reason; I'm just not interested. The Bunker is another one that is getting good reviews, and I do find it more interesting than the others, but I didn't find the characters very likable, so I'm not really interested in taking that journey with them.

Okay, now I get it...

I've been baffled my the interest of adults in My Little Pony, but this was pretty well written, and does well with the theme of friendship being magic. I do still get bugged by the use of "somepony" and "anypony", but it at least makes more sense than substituting "smurf" for random words.

I didn't know you could do that...

Motorcycle Samurai takes the most advantage of the digital format that I have seen. It's not exactly animated, but things fill in on a page over time, giving a kind of movement, and it's an interesting effect. This was listed as issue 0, so I don't know if there will be things that are different from this point on.

I might be into this...

Revival and Quantum and Woody were both interesting and well-done, though completely different in tone. Quantum and Woody combines mismatched people working together (adoptive brothers reunited by the death of their father) with learning to use newly acquired superpowers, and there is some humor and some heart to it. There may be a little too much beating around the bush in the first issue, but I think it can overcome that.

Revival follows life in a town quarantined because the dead are not staying dead. It's not a zombie thing, but it's not clear what it is, yet. At least one of the revived is not finding it to be a blessing. So, it's a lot less funny, but it may play out in interesting ways.

Love it. Want it. More please!

I have been intending to read some Greg Rucka anyway, so finding Lazarus as the second offering was a treat, and reading it was an even bigger treat. World building is well handled and an important emotional connection is established early. It worked perfectly for making me want to read the series.

No comments: