Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Monthly comics


Here are all of the comics (except for one, which I will explain later) and a little about them.

The first one, which I did for the MOOC in May, has been pretty well covered in writing, so I am just going to link to that:



After deciding that it was something that I needed to do, I was sure I was going to draw a scene from one of my screenplays. Every time I tried that, it didn't work. Finally, on the last day of June, I noticed a weird weed in the yard, and I tried to cover this imagined life cycle:


The next two both felt more successful. I shared them with my family, and they enjoyed them. Karate Kat really functions more like a children's book, but I have been playing with different forms.


The cat does not look like Maeve at all, but it really does capture her personality. 



The Vampire Nightmare one is in some ways very similar to the May comic, in being autobiographical and using a lot of text:


I did use a real picture as a reference for one panel. See if you can guess which. I did make it a bit more "cartoon" cute to emphasize the inherent unfairness of the situation.



The September one functioned differently again, almost like a flow chart, where I was going through options for my Halloween Twitter name. I was really deciding as I drew, and the conclusion of the comic is that I decided on Sulky Grebe. I set that up online, and immediately changed it to Gorgon Harris, which had also been in the running. The grebe just wasn't scary enough, no matter how sulky.

October is the one that is missing. My thought was to start with a plain pumpkin and show its progress to jack o' lantern. What I was hoping was that if I did it right that even though it was a totally inanimate object, that it could feel animated. It was not horrible but not great either, and I have no idea where the paper went. It may turn up.

November happened because I had a girl in crisis. She was suicidal, and I asked her to wait a few days so I could make her something. She was not sure if she could, but then the pressure was on. It's not trying to create a comic that can save a life, because really, it's the distraction, and the will to live despite strong suicidal urges, that makes the difference. I did still hope that I could give her a different way of looking at it. That if just talking to her in that moment and asking her to wait helped get past the crisis, then maybe the comic could provide some comfort and hope, and a reminder that people do care.

One thing that I was hating about the scans was how hard to read they end up being, so I wanted to eliminate the bad handwriting factor, which meant planning a layout so I could print out the words with sufficient space and then just fill in the drawings.

It's still inadequate drawing of course, but it is also the most valuable one I have done. It did help, and it has helped others. It's not a life-changer; it's just one link in a chain of caring and connection and if that's the only purpose any of this serves, that will be worth it:


I wrote about why the December strip happened yesterday, but I did not go over the technical aspects much. One issue is that I have been feeling like I rely too much on words for these, and I wanted to see if I could tell the story only through pictures. Well, I would have needed to draw more images, and better ones for that. I know what's going on; I'm not sure others can follow it.

I knew drawing people on horseback would be an issue, but so many things came up. I found a way I liked to show a few snowflakes, but once it's a blizzard, so that you have wind and snow drifts and people in danger of freezing, and ice forming, cracking, and breaking up, that is a challenge. Drawing scenes underwater, and then having soaked people above ground is a challenge. The one panel I am really happy with is the skull, and I used a photo reference for that. I did a search for screaming skull, and looked at that. Obviously I had to add the hair and the knife in the eye myself, but yes, I need to spend more time drawing from reference.


The other thing that was interesting to me was the way the panels are laid out. When I was a teenager I choreographed videos for unreleased songs by bands I liked and submitted storyboards. (No, no one ever got back to me.)

My storyboards were always two rows of three panels on a sheet with landscape orientation. Without even thinking about it, that's how the comic based on a music video started out. The January comic is a replacement for an insufficient music video, and I will use that layout too.

That one also has me thinking differently, because I can do larger panels on a page, and sometimes will. When you are planning for television, or a movie, the panel is always the same size. The camera angle can zoom in or out or pan, but the screen will not change, so the ground rules are different and the way of thinking is different.

The other thing that was significant about December is that it was the longest thing I have done. Even without drawing every single thing I saw, this is the first one that I did not draw in one sitting. I needed breaks.

Without being sure about February, March, and April (Would a paper doll book work?), I know that May is going to be long. It has a complex plot, and I want it to look good, and I will have to work out better lettering than my scrawling on the page. It can't be a last minute thing.

So, I am still learning a lot, which I think is what I wanted. The comic-related books on the reading list include a few histories, but a lot of them are books on drawing, and different techniques, and I hope things will start looking better. Also, I kind of hate my pencils. I'm not sure what to look for, but I'd like to do something different there. There's lots to figure out.

As a bonus, here is a link to the drawings I did while in Italy. These are all from my aunt's home:


Related posts:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a good range of story styles, from fun silly Karate Kat to the more moody wordless December comic. I'm always partial to wordless comics, they can be very effective and are good practice for "show don't tell." Nice job!