Thursday, April 03, 2014

Band Review: Honeygirl


I became aware of Honeygirl through following Jesse Valenzuela and Scott Hessel of the Gin Blossoms. This makes sense, as Honeygirl contains Scott Johnson, also of the Gin Blossoms, paired up with singer Kira Brown. One of my favorite things about this is when they refer to Johnson as "Honeyboy". Anyway, I wanted to give the band a look.

It has been a little bit difficult in that right now Honeygirl appears to be more a gig band, so there is not a lot of recorded music available. What there is often cuts off abruptly. The only really good recording of "Writings on the Wall", but you can still hear enough to know that it is not the only good song.

There is some nice variety. "Writings on the Wall" sounds very country, but I liked it. "Beg. Me." turns a lot funkier. "I Got You" would probably still be considered country, but it seems like it could have crossover appeal.

So it's not a lot to go on, but I still wanted to write about them because I do think they would put on a good show, and someone who reads this may get a chance to go see them. Honeygirl is based in Phoenix, and most gigs seem to be in that area.

If they do record more, I will check it out.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for reviewing Honeygirl!! We are so glad that you like our stuff! We hope to see you at a show soon! Yes, we need to record more music and plan to soon! Please sign up for our newsletter for updates at www.honeygirlmusic.com. And please introduce yourself next time you See us!! xo, Honeygirl