Monday, May 05, 2014

Two videos, The All-American Rejects version


Before starting, I want to make it absolutely clear that I love the Rejects. They are one of my favorite bands, writing up their show was where the music reviews really started, and they've even inspired a screenplay.

I also really love the song "I Wanna". There was a time when it was on almost constant replay in my head, and there is somewhere a bad recording of me singing it at my birthday party. But I don't watch the video very much.


I don't know why it's always phones with the product placement. You would think there would be all sorts of things that you could feature in a music video, but somehow it's always phones, and it is common for the placement to be egregious:


In this case, I think they tried to get really clever with it. Okay, we need to show the phone, and that is lame, so we will be really over the top with it, and turn it into art. They do cool things, and somehow it is still not cool. Perhaps a better question is whether the video effectively sells LG phones.

Our contrast video is "Walk Over Me":


Basically, they filmed some very basic performance footage and then copied the film and the band hand-animated it.

I admit, I don't actually know that this was done as a cost saver. That was what I first thought, and I guess part of my thinking that is because it was the band doing the drawing, rather than professionals, but maybe they just wanted to try doing something cool. They did a good job.

The interview where I saw Tyson Ritter talking about this was with Clevver Music, and the other thing I remember him saying there is that he did two of the videos. I don't know that there wasn't some other director working with him, but he had at least some creative control. Maybe a big part of that is financial, but there can be good opportunities with it too. There can be chances to branch out, and experiment with new technologies, and to really find the heart in the bare bones.

Which reminds me, that this can really be about three videos:


There was a time when many fans were asking when they were going to get the real "Heartbeat Slowing Down" video; why can't this be real? The tracking is really well done, it's personal, and I think it's pretty effective emotionally. What would spending more money prove?

No comments: