Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Comic Review for MOOC Module 3: Social Inequality


At some point I am going to need to spend some time on how connected everything is. In the futuristic dystopias that are built by environmental abuse social inequality plays a role, social inequality allows much of the environmental abuse to occur, and it is a breeding ground for the issues that make addiction possible. So, at some point I will talk about that, and it won't be so much about comics.

The other thing worth pointing out is that it was actually X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills or The Movement, I suspect because the X-Men one could be hard to find. I did not notice the "or" until after I had read one and ordered the other. I believe I would have read both anyway.

Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family, written by Greg Rucka, art and letters by Michael Lark with Stefano Gaudiano and Brian Level, colors by Santi Arcas, Recommended!
Scalped Vol. 1: Indian Country, written by Jason Aaron, art by R.M. Guéra. Not recommended.
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills, written by Chris Claremont, art by Brent Anderson, Recommended!
The Movement, Vol. 1: Class Warfare, written by Gail Simone, art by Freddie E. Williams II, colors by Chris Sotomayor, and letters by Carlos M. Mangual, Okay.
March (Book One), written by John Robert Lewis and Andrew Aydin, art by Nate Powell, Recommended!

Anyway, it was fine to do extra reading here, because I was the most prepared. I had already read the first issue of Lazarus in December, as well as March, and read Scalped in April, ahead of schedule, so it could go with my Native American Heritage reading. Also, it's fair to say that if you have seen the second X-Men movie that God Loves, Man Kills will not be completely unfamiliar.

I kind of hated Scalped. It is foul and violent and sordid. I understand why that would seem appropriate. I also acknowledge that it was feeling less so at the end of the first volume. Some of that may have been getting past the initial shock, but I think Aaron also came on heavier at the beginning to pull you in. Still, especially after seeing that Gina is dead (not because of the name, but because she seemed the most sympathetic) I don't think there is anything to pull me back. (She looked dead anyway. Comics being comics, I could be wrong.)

I have a lot of love for Gail Simone, which made me want to like The Movement more, but it felt kind of unfocused and that was frustrating. That doesn't even mean it was bad, I have just read better.

God Loves, Man Kills was really bold, and effective in its storytelling. There was an artist change due to some contract issues, and that led to an action-filled set-piece with Magneto being scrapped that was gong to be the introduction. As cool as that could have been, I don't think anything could have affected me like the opening they did use, where two black children are hunted down, murdered, and left hanging from a swing set as a warning to other mutants. Yes, there are parallels in the mutant story to stories of other prejudices and oppressions, and there should be, and they work. That's not to say that some of the things that happen with Dr. Xavier's brainwashing don't seem a little over the top, they do, but overall there is real emotion and drama.

Lazarus is great. Again, it's a time when you are dealing with some very venal people, but you can sympathize with Forever, and hope for her even as you wonder how things could possibly turn out.

I know I keep coming back to whether human elements are present or lacking. It's important to me. Just as it can be something easily overlooked in superhero comics, or in speculative fiction, it can be helpful in what we know of real life too. We know John Lewis for his Civil Rights work, and his government work, but March is a chance to see him as a child and a young man, to see the fears and courage of everyone in the movement, and it's valuable.

I am putting links to previous related posts below, but also as all of these were volumes, and not merely issues, every single one has a review on Goodreads.

No comments: