Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Wrapping up "The Youngblood Chronicles"


This feels like an amazing culmination here. From about a year ago when I reviewed the Fall Out Boy concert, and even in that post I said that I had other things to say that would detract from the review, and they started a lot of the thoughts about music videos in general, which is why they are where we are finishing, but all of these things I have been meaning to write are now written. Today and tomorrow's posts get everything covered.

(This doesn't mean that I don't have other things to write about, but it's more of a moving forward thing than a catching up thing now.)

The first thing that I should get out of the way is that I do not like The Youngblood Chronicles. As I finish writing this up, I will probably never watch any of the videos again, though I will listen to Save Rock And Roll often. That does not mean that I can't review the series and give credit where credit is due.

My dislike is mainly for the gore. I don't love the use of the religious imagery in a non-religious context, because that's something I take very seriously. That being said, for the story that these videos are telling, it makes sense.

To some extent the gore does as well. I think there are scenes where it is overdone and becomes a distraction, but they are creating a nightmare, which suits the story, and they do a pretty effective job. Even the cinematography has a lurid feel to it.

At times I was frustrated with the editing, because often things jump around where you can't get a clear look at what is happening. I said yesterday that Big Sean's assistance got him dismembered, but I'm not sure that's correct. I know he got an axe in the back, and then he was lying on the ground and 2 Chainz's girlfriends had sharp implements and something about his body looked weird, so that was the impression I got, but I'm not really sure. However, how clearly do you see or comprehend anything while you're in a fever dream after being drugged and tortured?

I will say that I think it was a mistake to arm Andy and Pete with instrument-like weapons for "Death Valley" and "Rat A Tat", if for no other reason than that the crossbow drum looks silly and is impossible to take seriously.

Another good reason is that I think it would make the scene in "Save Rock And Roll" where they are given their instruments even more powerful. It is powerful anyway, because they are all together, and they immediately start playing, and that is a healing scene. I suspect the other scene may have been for the contrast, but just regular weapons from the girl would have been better.

There is another clarity issue that does not seem to be so much editing (though the ending is rather abrupt) as some indecision about what story to tell.

For most of the videos, the briefcase is truly acting as a MacGuffin - you don't know what it is, only that it is wanted by different parties. That's not enough, though, because capturing Patrick and briefcase is not enough, they need to get the rest of the band, and mess with them.

(I will say that capturing Patrick first and subjecting him to the mutilation and the awake surgery and all of that before they even start torturing the others makes sense, because without that it would be really hard to accept Patrick, who is so sweet and good, as the killer of Joe and Pete.)

Eventually the destruction of musicians and instruments is not just about Fall Out Boy, but a larger movement against music, so you could just want to take away anything the musicians have and value, but then it allows you access to the demon Xibalba (I only know this from Wikipedia - I'm not sure how you could simply deduce it), with the proper ritual, and okay, why did the band have the briefcase in the first place and smile when they opened it?

I accept that Xibalba would immediately kill one of his followers, because demonic cults never are the good times that you think they are going to be. I accept that as the music begin to play that even Courtney began to feel some grace. I question the instruments destroying some of the cult members and transforming others. Usually you can be instruments of grace or instruments of destruction, but you would not do both at once. That probably could have been handled better. Again, this may be where a desire for more cool special effects and blood weakened the overall effect.

I also question the blood that splashes Elton John. One possible explanation could be that he is taking it so that the band members don't have to, interceding for them, but they are already so blood-covered at this stage that it seems pointless.

I do not question that after they have been playing the instruments together, united, that when mayhem breaks out again they are not afraid, despite several songs worth of them freaking out. They have rediscovered their source of power, and re-strengthened their bonds; of course they can take it.

I think maybe part of the problem with the storytelling is that they were asking the wrong question. It's not whether rock and roll can be saved, but is there still a place for them in it? Can they be in it together? What will it take? That's a more complicated question, and you don't get a succinct album title out of it, but I think they found their answer anyway, because ultimately the four of them playing together is what makes it work. Two albums, two tours, and an updated label later, it seems to be paying off. They can totally find the same obstacles, or different ones, but so far, so good.

And I'm glad! I love the album and the concert and I love Fall Out Boy. I remain so amazed by Patrick Stump's voice, and Pete said something about what a genius Patrick is with melodies, and I think that there is a synergy going on there. What his voice can do influences what his mind can imagine, and then his mind teaches his voice new things. That could go on for a long time. They are all skilled and talented, and together they are powerful.

But they won't save rock and roll. That's where I finish tomorrow.

The Wikipedia Article:

Some Fall Out Boy posts:

No comments: