Friday, July 04, 2014

Band Review: JD Greer


On first listening to JD Greer I was very much reminded of All 4 One. They were kind of an R&B boy band that I would have forgotten about if "I Swear" hadn't been used for the end of Despicable Me 2.

Although Greer is primarily a solo artist, he has sung in an a cappella group before, and he seems to do a fair amount of collaboration in his songs, so that makes sense.

I was surprised at the mellowness of the sound, because from his Twitter account he seemed a little more aggressive and maybe kind of redneck, but you don't hear that in the music. Unfortunately, I don't hear much of anything else. It struck me as very generic.

His voice is good. He has sung the National Anthem for Raiders games, and that seems like a good fit. It might also be possible that he good do well in concert settings that focused more on Broadway or classical. However, he seems to be doing fairly well in pop, so I guess that makes sense too.




No comments: