Thursday, January 29, 2015

Band Review: The Delaney


The Delaney is a singer/songwriter/poet in London. He is not my thing.

The singing is pretty flat, and occasionally out of tune. If often goes off-tempo, similar to Cake and I hate that about Cake. At one point I thought maybe this would work for fans of Joe Cocker, but I did some listening to Cocker to verify that and Joe is more fun.

I thought perhaps it was unfair to critique him as a performer if he is more of a songwriter, but he seems to perform on a regular basis. If the performance is not doing the lyrics justice, that could be an issue, but he has lyrics posted on his web site so they can be examined separately.

Those didn't really appeal to me either. I feel like they are trying to be witty social commentary without actually being that witty, and yet maybe if I were also in London some of it would have more resonance.

All of this combined makes it feel very self-indulgent. I can't rule out that I am missing something, but I cannot recommend. He does play guitar well.



No comments: