Monday, March 23, 2015

The Comic Reading List, Part 1


This is not a list of comics I want to read, though that is also a thing.

As I started seeing more story ideas as comics, and wanted to be able to draw them, I also started building up a list of books that I believed would be helpful. I started reading them, and then I realized it was too soon to get to many of them. This was disappointing, but every phase has its own charms, and I can adjust to that.

I did start worrying that at some point when I do read the others, and it is time to put it all together and evaluate it, that these first few read would be lost. If I write about them now then I have done some of the analysis, and I will have a record of it, so hey, as a little diversion from the heavy stuff, here are some books I read on a topic that I am not done studying!

How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way by Stan Lee and John Buscema

I'm not sure how much adherence to the Marvel style is still expected of current Marvel artists, but I think the book provides a good perspective on comic art in general and an understanding of the historic look. It combines basic drawing principles like lines of sight and proportions, but also the face shapes and the poses that were specific to Marvel. It's a pretty easy read, and kind of fun too. If you are not interested in drawing but a fan of classic comics I think you will still find it entertaining.

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe:

Once upon a time I would say that anyone who wanted to work in comics should read the How to Draw book. If you wish to work in comics anywhere, there's a lot to be said for reading The Untold Story too.

There is a lot of interesting information, though the telling is unfortunately dry. However, if you are interested in the industry it is worth reading it anyway to be aware of some of the types of people you will encounter, the frustrations that are likely, and it would be wise to take note of the many early deaths that seem to be a result of the horrible stress and pressures. I'm not saying not to work in comics - just enter informed so you can have some guards and escape valves in place.

Figure Drawing For All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis

Professional artists love his books, and I have a few more of his on my list. This particular one is just what the title says. It is focusing on drawing the human figure and focusing on it specifically for commercial purposes, like advertising and magazine illustrations. That industry has probably changed too, but the basic ideas on proportions and making poses dynamic is certainly still relevant. He does use very idealized figures, but if you take that information and still attend life drawing sessions on a regular basis where you are seeing other types of bodies, it should work out.

FYI, everyone is mostly naked, including on the cover. It's not salacious, but yeah, lots of nudity. My sister picked up the copy I had on hold, and she was embarrassed.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards

This was my absolute favorite. You learn so much about the brain, and how it perceives. So yes, there is drawing information but it is not only that. I have not ruled out buying the book, or taking one of the live sessions if an opportunity comes up. One thing you will see is that drawing is a good thing to do, and using the right side of the brain to do it is a good thing, regardless of your livelihood. That was fascinating. I read the 4th edition which has updates as science learns more about brain function, so while I am sure the older versions have a lot of the information, look for the newer version.

There were nine books total, so I am not quite halfway through, and I'm not sure when I will get back to them, but there's always something interesting going on, and I guess it can't all happen at once.

For anyone interested, the unread drawing books are listed below:

The Art of Comic Book Inking by Gary Martin
Draw 50 Famous Cartoons by Lee Ames
Creative Illustrations by Andrew Loomis
Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis
Words for Pictures by Brian Michael Bendis

No comments: