Friday, April 03, 2015

Album Review: Echoes In The Dark by New London Fire


I originally reviewed New London Fire back in September when I took an interest in their Kickstarter campaign. That campaign was successful, rewards have been sent out, and now there is a new album, Echoes In The Dark.

My first impression was that it is quietly beautiful; downbeat but not depressing.

That's not a false impression, but of course with more listening more things come through. That impression can be carried by the opening track, "California", and the gorgeous "My Own", which has a video. It's just not all there is.

"Momma" has strong blues-y notes, while "Walk and Then Run" has traces of jive running through it. I don't know that I can defend this, but "Calling Me Home" reminds me a little of Sgt. Pepper-ear Beatles. There are all of these disparate elements, but they combine together, united by voice and guitar, and it sounds like New London Fire.

One of my favorite things about the band in general is that there will be these small, subtle details enriching the song. That's here too. The best example of that may be "I Got It Wrong". There's an interesting texture on "Hey Ray".

I could go over all twelve tracks, and point out interesting and cool things about them -  it is well worth paying attention to lyrics - but more of that would make this review feel very redundant, and the album does not feel redundant, so that's probably the wrong way to go.

Perhaps I should just return to quietly beautiful.

Echoes In The Dark is available through iTunes and Amazon.




No comments: