Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Television update, spring 2015


I might have more to write about movies after I finish the screenplay reading, but for now I have more thoughts on television. The last time I did this was 2012.

These are the shows I was watching at the time.

  • White Collar
  • Grimm
  • Once Upon A Time
  • Person of Interest
  • Modern Family
  • Big Bang Theory
  • Jeopardy

I wrote about it then because I was making decisions then. "Grimm", "Once Upon A Time", and "Person of Interest" all started in 2011, and I was committing to them about the same time that I was trying out and deciding against "Leverage" (without prejudice) and "Alcatraz" (with extreme prejudice).

For the three I stuck with, I started watching them all around episode 8, but I had been reading recaps and internet forums on them, because I knew I was interested. If I spend eight weeks reading about an interesting show before I actually start watching, perhaps it is not surprising that three years later my television schedule is essentially the same.

There have been some changes. "White Collar" has concluded. That seems like it could leave room for a new show, and technically it did, because I also started watching "Galavant". I tried not to, but the heavy promotion during "Once", and it's role as the hiatus replacement, pushed me there, and then I loved it.

I don't doubt that I could love other shows. I have had two separate friends recommend "Forever", and I am sure there is nothing wrong with it; I just don't want to take on anything else.

We have added some new re-runs. In addition to occasional re-runs of "Everybody Loves Raymond", we will also watch re-runs of "Family Feud" and "Newhart".

"Family Feud" is more of an opportunistic thing. It may be on before the next thing we are going to watch, or I am waiting for my sisters to get back before we start the recorded episode of "Jeopardy!" (The DVR is still invaluable.)

"Newhart" is different. Maria will look for episodes that sound interesting and record them to watch later. It is related to our other watching. I believe their interest started with Bob Newhart's turns as Professor Proton on "Big Bang Theory".

This is also pretty fun. I remember catching occasional episodes back when it originally aired, and I liked it, it just wasn't a priority. I think I prefer quirky patients to quirky rustics, but I don't mind spending some time in Vermont.

I do think that since "Newhart" entered the rotation, there is less "Judge Judy" being watched, but we have already seen quite a bit. Also, "The Rifleman" seems to have dropped from the rotation, and I don't know if that's a scheduling issue or if Maria lost interest. I'm okay with it.

I mention all of this because I have deep thoughts on the dramas at least, and intend to write about them. I have a lot to say about "Grimm".

No comments: