Thursday, September 10, 2015

Band Review: Electric Century

I wanted to review Electric Century a while ago, but with only a few tracks out I thought I would wait and see if they released a full album. With only three bands playing the concert I have been reviewing, I needed something to round out the reviews, and this seemed like a good fit. Four songs is still something to work with.

Composed of Mikey Way and David Debiak, the obvious question is whether this sounds like their previous work. No.

Actually, there is a part in "Let You Get Away" that builds in a somewhat similar manner to New London Fire's "For My Own", and they are both songs that stop me with their beauty, but if you listen to them you will see they are very different.

The sound is very hard to categorize. "Right There" starts with a bit that is almost '80s, but then there is something really futuristic sounding that builds alongside it. There is more synthesizer than seen in their respective earlier bands, but it is not techno. It is electric - and electrifying - and it is something new. Perhaps the era that it ushers in is the electric century. The name works, anyway, and Way is known for being good at coming up with band names.

There are interesting thoughts behind the music, with an almost militaristic chanting on "Hail The Saints" and an abrupt, unsettling ending to "I Lied." I think it is a band that could be greatly enjoyed on an intellectual level.

I think that, but for me it keeps coming back to the emotions evoked by "Let You Get Away", making me stop and let feeling sweep over me. It's not losing its power.

No comments: