Monday, September 28, 2015

Native American Heritage Month 2014


It hasn't been quite a full year yet, but for getting close to a year now I have been concentrating on writing enough that it has seriously slowed my reading.

After last year I had picked out the books that I wanted to read for this year, but I wasn't sure when I was going to get to them. In addition, I kept finding all of this video material that I wanted to examine, and there was definitely no time for that. So, the plan was adjusted. My Native American Heritage focus has always been more multi-media than some of my other pursuits.

I hope that in November or so, I will be able to get back to those four books for 2015. (Bumping them for a year does not seem as dire when running this far behind.) For the 2014 learning period, it focused on these three web pages:




For the Cherokee Freedmen documentary, the article was not lengthy. It had just gotten put with the others because I was hoping that there might be an opportunity to actually watch the documentary, By Blood. I still hope for that, but the article itself is pretty informative and the trailer gives you a sense of the feeling.

Silent No More does something very important in encouraging young native women to speak and to document their lives. I think the article itself hit a couple of wrong notes, but there is still something valuable going on there. I found it very moving and very sad, even though it is also hopeful. It is interesting seeing the similarities and differences for Canada.

Of course the big thing was the page with 10 Fascinating Documentaries. Some were more fascinating than others. I kind of hated one, but we'll get to that. I am just going to review them in the same order in which they are listed on the page.

Totem Culture (2012) 17:42 minutes

A Canadian school in Hong Kong brings a Tsimshian artist from BC to carve two totem poles.

This focuses on the people, and there is a lot of fondness among them, with teachers for the artist and everyone for the former principal who had the original idea. That makes it not particularly deep, but it is sweet, and interesting to hear them discuss the incorporation of the two traditions, like deciding the placement of the poles by feng shui.

Dakota 38 (2012) 1:18:12

This was the most emotionally moving for me. One man's dream (literally) leads to a ride to the site of a hanging of 38 Sioux elders, arriving on the anniversary. Initially starting with a feeling that this is about connecting with the past, as they go they speak in their stopping places, and connect with Natives and non-Natives alike, it is clearly also for the present and future. It becomes very emotional, and hopeful. The hardest part then is seeing over the credits memorials for three of the original riders who have since died, including one who was too young.

Wacipi Powwow (1995) 57:03

This is a look at Powwow culture, showing many of the dances and talking with the dancers. It's a good look at how it builds community and preserves ties.

Trudell (2005) 1:18:23

This is a documentary about Native American poet and activist John Trudell. I was not previously familiar with him. I have read about some of the actions that he participated in, but did not remember his name from them. Initially there are a lot of famous white people talking about how much he moved them, which made me a little leery. Frankly, the documentary would have been fine without them, but it probably works as a way of making people feel they should pay attention.

There was this foreshadowing at one point that something terrible was going to happen, but I wasn't expecting what it was, with his wife and children (along with his mother-in-law) dying in a house fire that was arson, though it was never resolved who set it. That he had to survive that is hard, but he says it came through words that his wife gave to him. He was already an activist, but that may have been his true birth as a poet. I do want to read more by him.

American Red and Black: Stories of Afro-Native Identity (2006) 37:13

This talks to many natives with African blood, going over the identity issues. I was already somewhat familiar due to Black Indian: An American Story, which was actually from my 2014 Black History reading, but that's okay - sometimes there is overlap, and this is an important story. This film has some great footage.

Allan Houser: Apache Legacy (2014) 12:15

This was a nice surprise, because once they started talking about Houser and showing his work, I realized I had seen an exhibit of his sculptures at the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian when I was in DC. I remembered the work, but not the name, so this was nice to see and to learn a little more about him.

Russell Means: Welcome to the Reservation (2011) 1:35:59

I watched this last, procrastinating not just because it was the longest, but also because Means is not always wrong, but he is wrong often enough.

I still have some affection for him so this made me sad because he comes off as the grumpy old man rambling on about the government and yelling at the kids on his lawn. At the same time, I was thinking how some on the right could really welcome him. Therefore, seeing that this is associated with Alex Jones wasn't too surprising. I don't think the questions they asked or the way they strung them together did Means any favors. I don't think they misrepresented him, either, but they didn't do him any favors. It's just sad. It's not that he never says anything meaningful either, but you have to wade through a lot.

Indian Warriors: The Untold Story of the Civil War (2006) 44:38

This is probably the best historically, based on covering interesting information well, and being really well made. There were people I had never heard of, but there were also some familiar stories given new context. Highly recommended.

Code of Honor: Comanche Code Talkers of World War II (2013) 28:30

This combined two components, both of which were valuable, but perhaps did not blend as well as they could. One part is reading excerpts from the diaries of the Code Talkers. These passages do not mention their mission, which they would not have been able to record based on its highly confidential nature. You get a feeling from that, but it would be similar to other soldiers.

There is also dialog for the actual battle exchanges, with translations, showing you the kind of information that would be exchanged, which then makes it clear how important not being understood by the enemy is. There was probably room for two good documentaries here.

Montana Mosaic: Indian Boarding Schools (2006) 15:10

It is good that this one was short, because the stories of the boarding schools are always so terrible that it can be overpowering to spend a lot of time on it. I guess in that way it was not so much new information, but there was one thing that had never connected for me before. Cutting hair was something that was done for mourning, and the closer the relative the more hair you cut. So when children who did not speak English were taken away from their family and had their braids cut off, without being able to understand yet, their conclusions would have to have been terrible. I mean, they were trying to destroy the identities anyway, so maybe if the people in charge had understood that would have only reinforced their behavior, but it's a lot of cruelty.

No comments: