Monday, September 07, 2015

Reading proofs




I have now gone through the process for submitting the files for print on demand. I ordered some proofs to look and also to be able to give some hard copies of the books to some musicians who were coming through. (Not the All American Rejects though; Frank Iero and James Dewees.)

You may have noticed that there are still only electronic versions showing as available:


I'm working on it, but I've run into a few issues, and I'm learning some things.

For one thing, not having title pages or end pages looks really horrible, but they are not added automatically. Also, even though I checked and re-checked the originals, I am still finding errors. I found two on the front page of Family Ghosts, which horrifies me.

I believe I notice different things with the physical copies when I am proofreading. That would tempt me to start with the CreateSpace first, instead of Kindle Direct, if the process of getting the proofs were not so slow.

They aren't completely error-ridden. For example, in Cara I found five. Those include an extra space between two words, a period instead of a question mark at the end of a rhetorical question, and a line break in the middle of a sentence. And I know I entered that Family Ghosts was Book 2 in Family Blood, so why doesn't it say that on the cover? Plus the cover for Family Blood is hideous.

Since I think the cover for Cara works, it is tempting to forget the errors and just go with it. If I make changes, then I have to order proofs again, and then approve them. What if I find more? Also, now I know those errors are in the electronic files. I could correct them, but then that's two electronic editions, plus the print edition, and that feels excessive for what is essentially a hobby. Yes, that sounds self-negating.

When people act impressed, I get a touch of impostor syndrome. I mean, it's only self-publishing, which has been made remarkably easy. It could be utter trash and it would still be just as easy. I do realize there is some accomplishment in going through the process. And yet, when I was reading through and finding those remaining typos, I still got caught up in the story again.

With Frank and James, I really wanted to give them the books, because they have inspired me and they might enjoy them and it is basically what I have to give, but then when they thanked me I felt so guilty. What if they read it and don't like it? Life is too short for bad books.

I can't keep on an even keel about it. If only professional musicians had some way of understanding the emotional ups and downs of putting your artistic input into the world.

I had written previously about concerns with the covers:


I may look into creating my own files before printing. I guess technically I don't have to push all of the print on demand books live at once. I could probably get Cara ready pretty quickly, and then agonize over the Family books a little longer.

Ultimately I am still working out best practices. It would be lovely to have an agent who worried about all of those things, leaving me to just focus on the writing, but it works out.

Morgan is still being worked on, and will be followed by Family Reunion.

No comments: