Monday, May 30, 2016

Casting Dad Wars


Early on when I started writing screenplays, I read that the average screenwriter writes nine screenplays before they sell one. I was probably on my third then, so it seemed pretty far off.

Nine then became a magic number for me, and I got very specific about it. Television pilots didn't count, nor the collaboration on the adaptation. Obviously the month of 6-day scripts didn't count, and not Bigg City Heroes or the Binderspink contest submissions. The fan fiction didn't count, and not novels and blogging.

Even being very strict and only counting feature length screenplays written only by me and intended for sale, Dad Wars is number nine. The number was never so much magical as an indication that breaking in to the business is hard and there's a lot of failure. If you want to do it you are going to have to keep at it for a long time without any encouragement.

I have done that. I have written so much, and I have a better feel for it. I can predict things like eventual page length pretty well. Writer's block doesn't really last anymore. While I still haven't made any money from it, that does feel like an accomplishment, and I feel good about it.

And I feel good about what I have written. I am always most excited about the newest work, but I believe Dad Wars is funny while remaining pretty grounded, and it has heart. It will touch on emotions for some pretty common feelings, like dealing with aging and feeling like your life has purpose and parent-child relationships. I like it.

Dad Wars can be downloaded as a PDF and read at https://studios.amazon.com/projects/116363.

Now I am in the phase of thinking about getting it sold and how it will look. It helps to have casting in mind because this can give other people a better idea of the end result. It is also important to not be too rigid in that. You can't always get what you want, and that shouldn't devastate you.

For example, it would not be completely unreasonable for this to be an Adam Sandler film, with the neighborhood being filled out by Allen Covert, Rob Schneider, and Peter Dante. There is nothing wrong with that; I have enjoyed a lot of films with them, but it would probably change the tone some.

Writing it, I visualize Mike as Mark Hoppus and Tyler as Tyson Ritter (though he started as Gerard Way). Tyson Ritter does act, and would look adorable doing yoga with a baby. That is not impossible. I have seen Mark Hoppus do some acting, but it is probably not realistic for him to lead a movie. That's okay. I got the idea of Rob Lowe doing it and I really liked that.

Rob Lowe is very "dad" in his real life. He is a little older than Mike is supposed to be, but he can pass for younger pretty easily. It might not hurt to send him to Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp before starting filming, but who wouldn't want to do that?

It wouldn't be bad to have alternatives. I can also see Oscar Isaac as Tyler. He has musical experience and he is still in a good age range for it. He might be harder to get, but he might also enjoy the chance to do a comedy.

There are other clear pictures that are not feasible, but having the picture is a starting point. Of the neighbors, in my head Phil is Uncle Phil from "Fresh Prince". James Avery is dead, and would be more like Phil's father if he were still alive. Steve is Steve Wozniak; probably can't cast him. It is still a starting point.

My last idea is where I start to feel really good about casting in general.

For the counselor that Mike and Tyler visit, I had a very clear picture of Henry Rollins barking at them like a drill instructor. Rollins is an important part of punk history, he does act, and I know he could pull it off.

However, it also occurred to me that Grace Jones would be wonderful for that role. She would be intimidating in a different way than Rollins, but she could bring it.

(Obviously, all the guests on the "Little Drummer Boy" can be changed subject to availability- I was just naming people to give an idea.)

Thinking about Rollins versus Jones made me kind of want them both. That won't work, because there does need to be a choice and two counseling sessions would not be a reasonable choice, but it reminded me that there are many good ways to do scenes.  There can be bad casting, but good casting can encompass more than one choice. There might even be more than one choice that seems like perfect casting, even though you only see the one that happens.

So, it's okay to retain some optimism. And it's imperative to hold on to the work ethic.

No comments: