Monday, May 09, 2016

Things I like about Hillary Clinton


Back in 2008, when Obama was running for the first time, I had concerns with his lack of experience. He had only entered the Senate in 2005. It felt like the run was only possible because he had made a good speech that got people excited.

As all this was happening, I remember someone saying that nothing can prepare you for the presidency. With very difficult circumstances, the new president performed well and I started to think maybe it was true. Maybe it was more temperament than experience.

Eight years later, I have to rethink that again. With her time in the White House and as Secretary of State, it is hard to imagine anyone more prepared for the diplomatic aspects of the job than Hillary Clinton. With her time as senator and her work on drafting a plan for universal health care (though one that was rejected), she should be well prepared to deal with Congress. She will have as difficult a Congress as her predecessor, but has learned a few things about dealing with personal attacks and intransigence.

She gets criticized a lot. Some of it is reasonable, and a lot of it isn't. I have partially dealt with that, and I think I will some more next Monday, but today is going to be more about the positives.

I can start that with some criticism. Clinton was recently criticized for a comment about putting coal companies out of business, because that would put many people in that industry out of work. She did address later that there would have to be money invested in that area, and there was a meme with all of the times she misspoke, but there's a point here.

Coal used for energy is incredibly destructive. Burning coal causes problems from asthma in children to global warming; obtaining coal has led to destructive strip mining, poisoned waters, and enormous underground fires; and coal miners have historically done a very dangerous job with mine owners egregiously ignoring their safety. There are good reasons to feel like ending this industry would be a good thing; it would still be scary for the people losing jobs.

That can be worked with. If you care about people, you can look at a problem and find solutions. There might be retraining for younger workers, early retirement for older ones, and ways to have the workers involved in the process of shutting down the systems. These things can be done, but you have to be open to the complexities of different interactions where any action will have repercussions, and some very desirable results can be mixed with undesirable ones.

I have confidence in Clinton to be able to deal with this. Some have criticized her overly long answers, but what often gets repeated about that is that she hates making a promise she can't keep. Therefore, you may intend to ask a yes/no question, but she will see all the potential complications and give a measured response.

A politician who avoids making false promises is a good problem to have, but also I simply like that she does see the different aspects. Another thing I remember from the political past is a friend of mine telling me how Bill Clinton was the kind of president who would read the policy papers rather than having an adviser sum it up for him. It wasn't just that he was smart, but detail-oriented. (I can't remember if the words "nerd" or "wonk" were used, but they would have fit.) Observing Hillary now, I have a better sense of what brought them together as a couple.

Those were things that predisposed me to her in the first place, but the biggest thing lately has been reports of her referring others to places where they might be able to get help. The first time I saw it was in a Buzzfeed article, but I have seen other mentions since then. If at a town hall or a meet and greet or something like that, someone mentions in passing a problem that they have, she will try and refer them to someone who can help.

That shows me two things about Clinton: she cares about individuals, and she has the practical knowledge to back it up. I was so pleased when I was trying to find the original reference to see that they have started tracking these incidents in a spreadsheet to make sure that follow up happens. That's how I would do it. But mainly I appreciate that she does it at all.

I find Hillary Clinton to be caring and competent.

That's the kind of person that I want to see in the White House.



No comments: