Thursday, July 28, 2016

Band Review: The Black Tubes


I had been thinking already been thinking that The Black Tubes reminded me of The Clash before I heard the "Oi".

That doesn't exactly explain it right. There are a lot of Clash songs that cover a wider range than the five tracks I was able to find for The Black Tubes. Thinking about it further, they reminded me of Magazine as well. Together that puts us in England (The Black Tubes are from Brighton), with both early punk and post punk, but giving us a time period that it was perfectly reasonable to greet with an "Oi!" It was good to hear.

I only really heard that chorus on "PDA (Public Displays Of Affection)", but it worked. It went with the sentiments and the guitar playing and the sound.

They're a young band, but they have learned some things from the past, and they can carry that forward in a good way.

Wishing them well.




No comments: