Tuesday, August 02, 2016

I am not a commodity


One of the most frustrating parts of this period of unemployment is how many people seem to want things from me. That didn't happen last time.

Back in 2008, getting any response back at all was very difficult. Now it is about sifting through the useless responses. I mentioned the phone calls trying to get me into educational programs already, but that is not all.

There were also the very persistent messages that seemed to be about a job, but there was an odd lack of specificity for some things. That was okay, because they said you could contact them with questions. I asked, but no matter how many messages came there were never any answers;  just more buzzwords about development and potential. Finally I wrote back that without getting these answers I was having a hard time trusting them. Then they stopped writing. I guess that was for the best, but it would have been nice if there really was a job.

There is a networking group for film that I have joined. They claimed it would be great to make contacts and they had tons of success stories. There is always a fee for hearing the success stories, and searching for people you can actually collaborate with doesn't turn up a lot.

I guess part of the problem there is that everyone writes, but there are lots of groups that will send out opportunities for writers. You do have to pay to see the ones that offer pay, but the unpaid ones are free. Apparently you really do have to spend money to make money.

In a way it doesn't affect me that much. I continue to apply for various jobs, while still writing and looking for places to submit my work. Even if so far it is only dead ends, I have not exhausted all of the potential dead ends yet.

What bothers me more is that at a time when I could really use some help, and I do not have any money to spend, that seems to be all anyone is interested in.

The one that has been the worst is actually the one that did get paid. My former employer gave me some time with a career coaching company. I don't know how much they paid them, but I am positive that it was too much.

There are people who will do a wonderful and individualized job of building your resume, there are people who will act as headhunters and help with your placement, and there are people who will coach you. That is not what happens here. Here they tell you which webinars and tip sheets to look at. Some of the webinars are pretty good, but I would never pay for that service.

It may make my company feel better about letting me go, but a weekly phone call that might last as long as fifteen minutes if I come prepared with questions is not that helpful. I got more caring and guidance at the employment office. That might not be true in every state, or every office within a state, but I felt like I mattered more, and felt more hopeful there. I felt like a person.

If the only thing anyone wants is money right now, I don't have a lot to offer. I accept that, but I'm sick of people pretending they're here to help.

No comments: