Thursday, December 15, 2016

Band Review: Steven Battelle


Steven Battelle, recently of LostAlone, is a singer, musician, and songwriter who released his first solo album, Exit Brain Left,  this year. I am reviewing him after he was recommended by Ray Toro.

Initially my favorite track was "Steven Battelle", with its captivating beat and almost island feel. It was the first time I had seen a musician have a song with their own name, but LostAlone did have an eponymous song as well.

Things started coming together when I found the lyrics. Referencing fear, and enduring despite it, having the music sound so optimistic makes the song a celebration of life. Having it named after Battelle himself makes it deeply personal. This is his triumph.

Except it is only track 3. It comes after "Powers of Denial" and "The Jump", but then there is still much to come, with the final track being "I'm Still Finding out Who I'm Going to Be".

That's more realistic. As freeing as it can be to move forward in one part of your life (like spending time as a solo artist), and as much as there are moments of euphoria along the way, then there are new challenges, and new needs to silence doubts and gather courage. As much as you learn who you are, there can be many facets of that identity left to explore.

That resonated with me personally. I don't claim a perfect understanding - I don't even want to speculate about how "A Christmas Cartel" fits in - but it makes me want to wish Battelle well on his journey. Given that, it feels like this could be a good album for people working on self-discovery or pondering life changes.

For LostAlone fans, you will probably find the album more experimental (and in some ways more intimate) than the band working together, but for all of their tracks with musical layers building together in majestic strength, they had a lot of songs that explored different types of sound as well.

"Steven Battelle" is still a favorite, but "Nine Miles of Light" has a similar feeling of inspiration, "The Ocean Chorus" has a kind of dreamy beauty, and I think you will enjoy the hard guitar in "Last Night on Earth".




No comments: