Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The geopolitical landscape


"The manner of the country makes the usage of life there, and the land will not be lived in except in its own fashion." - Mary Austin

I read that quote when reading about the Dust Bowl, but it came to mind as I was remembering Amsterdam: A History of the World's Most Liberal City by Russell Shorto.

Shorto reviews the history of the city itself, and how Dutch settlers in New York (formerly New Amsterdam) influenced the development of the United States government. I read it because so many of the girls I wanted to help were Dutch, and I thought knowing more about their country might help. It ended up teaching me more about my country.

Regardless, one of the key points was that the democratic and liberal nature of Amsterdam was largely influenced by the watery land. Establishing the dikes and drainage required a communal effort, where everyone had to work together. That could have led to a greater sense of equality and community spirit.

I have some messy related thoughts. One is that - despite the high costs of ignoring the manner of the country that led to the Dust Bowl - we have managed to ignore the manner of the land a lot now. We can get away with it because so many people are not directly involved in agriculture and they don't see it. Nutrient levels in foods have gone down, commercial feed lots are horrible in terms of the waste and the health of the animals, and it all includes over-reliance on fossil fuels with those accompanying problems.

(The documentary King Corn or book The Omnivore's Dilemma are good starting places, but there is a lot of information out there. The issues are easy to ignore, but you don't have to.)

Subsistence farming did not have to have these issues; they come up when there are people trying to get rich. I am more aware of this after studying child labor and racism and slavery. Two key industries where slavery grew were tobacco and sugar. Both require a lot of labor, and one person is not going to make great profits; that requires multiple people who can be abused. Sugar requires a larger initial capital investment, which added limitations to who could get involved, but getting started in tobacco was relatively easy when people could be bought and used cheaply.

Changing agriculture could do a lot for the environment and for human health, and getting more people involved in growing things could help. Even with a sense of working for the greater good, it would be possible for that to be a largely solitary practice.

However, we may be at a point where we can feel our need to work together and unite.

I know people who feel they do not know enough to contribute. I may be part of the problem there, with all of my reading lists and things. The thing is, I like reading and I like knowing stuff - that is a natural path for me to take. It's not the only one.

You can learn things from articles. You can learn things from other people. You can learn things from classes and voter pamphlets. And you do not need to know everything to be able to know that some options are better and worse. When I said I wanted everyone to vote - no matter how much I disagree with their choices - I meant that. We should all be participating and we can all participate.

There are people who will decry that, because so many people are stupid and we are better off with them not voting. In general, the people who put forth that kind of thinking are in favor of some pretty harmful policies. Of course they don't want people voting, and since they are already tearing people down through legislative and corporate means, why not also tell people they are stupid? Maybe they will believe they deserve everything bad that happens to them.

I will never be able to support this. Yes, people can be stupid and intractable and petty and malicious. They can also be generous, kind, self-sacrificing to the point of heroic and very good.

Since the election, I have seen some people who were always kind of trivial before start to really care. People who have never protested or contacted a representative before have now. There are imperfections, but I am sure there were many imperfections amongst the early Dutch people pulling land from water.

Working together can help us learn to appreciate each other. It can help us spot the goodness in each other, and it can develop more goodness.

I never thought much about the motto "Stronger together" when it was first chosen, but I keep seeing more and more how true it is.

That makes the election results more tragic, but it also points to the best path ahead.

Related posts:

No comments: