Friday, July 14, 2017

Band Review: Aree and the Pure Heart


I swear Aree and the Pure Heart followed me on Twitter back in early February - that's how they ended up on the review list - but I cannot find a Twitter account for them now. I know tweeting's not for everyone, but I have to be glad they at least tried it, because I really liked the band.

Based in Atlanta, the band identifies as rock and roll/punk. Despite the location, I don't hear Southern rock influences. Rather, there is a musical joy that reminds me of Bob Seger.

That is only in instruments and mood; Aree's voice is completely different. There may be some reminders of Marshal Crenshaw and Fee Waybill there, but I could reasonably just say that vocally Aree is unique. Regardless, his voice fits in perfectly with all that PJ is doing on guitar, and Chris on bass, and Dave on drums. (The band does not appear to be into last names.)

Together they create a sense of celebration. Their Heartsongs EP is more than fun; it's uplifting.

Really recommended. I'm glad I had a chance to check them out.


No comments: