Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Recording music

I recently mentioned that I am taking too many classes. There were a couple of things that happened with that.

With the Roman art, history, and architecture classes, it happened because I couldn't choose which would be best, but it worked out that they tended to reinforce each other. Maybe first style and second style didn't resonate with me in one class, but then when they were being discussed again in a different class it clicked. That worked out, and now I only have a couple of weeks left on the Roman Architecture class (plus an AutoCAD assignment for it that I am not sure that I am motivated enough to try).

A lot of the classes end in March, so I am not even thinking about Music Theory and Performance Psychology until April of May. For the others, I thought Introduction to the Music Business could give me a better understanding for my band reviews and the Family Blood series, and Discovering the Instruments of the Orchestra just sounded interesting. I also thought Music for Wellness could give me some ideas for helping my mother.

Vocal Recording Technology was going to be a whole different thing though. Sometimes I really want to record things I have written. I've had this goal in mind for a while that I could have a week where the daily songs are all by me. My talent and skill deficit is a concern, but also I have had no idea how to record anything. I thought the class would tell me.

Other than some early lessons on microphones and other variables - like vocal registers and the recording environment - the class was mainly about working with the recordings in a digital audio work station. I'm sure it's good information if that is what you do, but if not, it was kind of boring. And, I still didn't know how to get the initial recording.

Oddly, the Music for Wellness class worked better for that.

I mean, I did have my mother watch the class videos for me, and she was more interested than I expected, so that was good. I think I have ideas for incorporating music more into enrichment activities in the future. But also, they had links for different recording things, and this seemed like it could be very helpful.

And then they seem to be more about editing sound files too.

Maybe I was overcomplicating recording sound. I search on recording an MP3 (the assignments call for uploading MP3s), and it let me to Windows Sound Recorder, which I do have preinstalled, but then you need a file converter to get it from a WMA file to an MP3 file.

I suppose the real problem is that everyone else is using phones now while I don't have one.

I did record two short test WMA files today. They sound very weak, making me think that using the mic in the camera is not the best option, but I am not going to be getting any new equipment between now and Thursday, when those class assignments are due.

Also, just turning in four week's worth of assignments on the last day is probably not the level of involvement that would be most beneficial. However, as a means of showing determination that I will get something done on time even if it is not great, there is that. Also, there is that some things need to be done badly before they can be done well.

So, while there are many obstacles and perhaps not the best aptitude, I am learning.

La.

No comments: